Could not install grub4dos MBR!

aiken

I am using WinSetupFromUSB to configure a USB stick as a WinXP installation disk.

I have copied Win XP to my hard disk. I have formated my 8 GB USB stick using RMPrepUSB. What I did was to choose "XP bootable (NTLDR)" FAT 32. Then I hit Prepare Drive. After it finished successfully I click on Exit.

Then I started the copy process. Under "Add to USB disk" I chose "Windows 2000/XP/2003 Setup" and selected the folder of my Win XP CD copy.

Once the process started I got the following message:

"Could not install grub4dos MBR!

Please ask for help in support forum @ msfn.org

Aborting in 10 seconds"

Thanks for any help.

• 7 months later...

Jaclaz your solution worked - many thanks!!! I worked on this grub4dos issue for 6 hrs (msfn is having a new user automated activation url issue), your solution worked on the first try!! I have used WinSetupfromUSB 20-30 times on different machines with out need for your solution. Now all of a sudden i need your solution - why? why does this happen (date issue w/WinSetupfromUSB?, Ram memory hold by WinSetupfromUSB?) How does installing Grub4Dos via RMPREPUSB separately different from how WinSetup installs Grub during usb disk creation? Thanx again

I guess it's all about each app doing what it is supposed to do.

RMPREPUSB is designed (and has quite a bit of tricks up it's little sleeves), to properly partition and format a USB stick and optionally install to it the grub4dos grldr.mbr to the MBR (and a few hidden sectors).

Normally WinsetupfromUSBwithGUI can replace the normal 2K/XP MBR (written to the stick by RMPREPUSB or another utility) with the grldr.mbr.

In some particular cases it cannot.

This may due to a number of reasons, my guess is that it more or less it is a timing problem of some kind when accessing the \\.\PhysicalDrive (when running XP) or running Windows Vista :ph34r: or 7 that have *enhanced* (ahem) protection schemes.

There could also be some hardware dependant causes, but I personally doubt it.

The proposed solution/workaround is nothing but "common sense" ;), imagine that every time you would print a document you would:

1. print a random different document :w00t:
  2. erase completely the printed document :angel
  3. re-use the blanked sheet of paper to finally print the "good" one :blink:

jaclaz

I may have opened a pandora's box in my head w/this question. The timing problem makes some sense to me - windows is bad w/timing related problems, doing too many complex tasks @ once sometimes confuses my win boxes, ram release, RMPrepUsb, and WinsetupfromUSBwithGUI piggybacking on eachother play well into this timing problem idea. Not sure i completely grasp the paper reuse concept, but it is interesting to contemplate and perhaps after some time it will become a jewl. So Jaclaz - thnx much for your reply.and your useful initial post that helped me so much. take care

• 3 years later...