Hardware ID

ripigs

@Coffefiend

Sure, memory and CPU cycles hungry apps like Photoshop and Autocad/Solidworks, rendering apps, etc., i.e. most high-end graphical apps do clearly benefit from the new architecture as well as complex calculus related apps :thumbup , but Office? :w00t:

I already find absurd that say (just faked number ;)) 83.7% of all Word users use it to write a letter (rarely since now everything is done via e-mail) or a max 10 page report, Word 6.0 on a 486 DX2 already outperformed largely the typing speed of a fast writer, not to count the time needed to think what you have to write down.

Same goes for Excel, in the large majority of cases it is used as a simple spreadsheet for things like checking your expenses or listing the petty cash of the office. I consider myself a "demanding" user of spreadsheets (i.e. Excel is the program that runs the most on my machine) and I find no actually difference in response time even on rather complex worksheets between my "normal" table PC with Excel 2000 and a newish x64 Toshiba laptop with Windows 7/Office 2010 I have been working on last week. :unsure:

Obviously it's just my personal view on the matter, but it seems to me like we have already the needed power for most "normal" use of a PC in any netbook, and that the *need* for more speed/memory is only for people that use professionally high-end apps (and possibly gamers).

Like there is/will be a "fork", "normal" users still using 32 bit for a long time and a few people actually needing 64 bit power + a large number not needing it (but convinced they do) spending the extra money to have 64 bit computing, the former justified by their needs, the latter just because it is cool.

jaclaz