Hardware ID

ripigs

9005eefa-dad1-53b4-baab-56ecfbf9d55c

That isn't a Device ID nor a Vendor ID like ricktendo64 said. It has the same length and grouping as a GUID indeed but that's most likely the SMBIOS UUID.

As for monitors, they don't have a Vendor ID or Device ID like for PCI or USB devices. They use another format called EDID. That contains all the info you can get about a monitor. Then from the EDID, Windows derives a PnP ID which is like puntoMX showed (3 chars for mfg, 4 chars for device).

Thats not a hardware id it looks like a device class guid, all monitors would have the same number

{4d36e96e-e325-11ce-bfc1-08002be10318}

How do you know that is the ID for all monitors and where did you find the number at?

How do you know that is the ID for all monitors

It isn't "the ID for all monitors" (and the number you have in post #3 likely wasn't even a GUID either). That's just a GUID related to monitors (a device class used by setup)

I've already explained how "the ID" works in my previous post.

Then again, we have no idea what you're trying to accomplish, so this is likely all pointless.

anyways that long number has nothing to do with monitors, that is something for KEYBOARDS

You mean the GUID ricktendo64 wrote? Nope, that *is* a GUID for the monitor class (which again, is not an "ID" at all, just a broad device class). The GUID for he Keyboard class is {4d36e96b-e325-11ce-bfc1-08002be10318}

Why don't you describe what you're trying to do? Then perhaps we can actually help in a meaningful way.

What do you need it for?

To try and change the icon in the DEVICES AND PRINTERS page manually.

I already did it for my computer icon.

You mean the GUID ricktendo64 wrote? Nope, that *is* a GUID for the monitor class (which again, is not an "ID" at all, just a broad device class). The GUID for he Keyboard class is {4d36e96b-e325-11ce-bfc1-08002be10318}

Yeah sorry about that keyboard/monitor number mixup, you are right about that.

OKAY

to change the icons in the DEVICES AND PRINTERS page, manually

i already done the computer icon, pic is attached

any ideas

post-169874-127993047278_thumb.jpg

The generic icons (as in, not for device stage) like for the monitor are likely stored inside some resource DLL (ddores.dll perhaps)

Knowing it was related to that, your post would likely belong better in the "customizing windows" section.

I am NOT doing any DLL hacks/edits OR any registry edits

I make a couple of xml files and devicemetadata-ms files

If you want to know exactly how let me know.

The generic icons (as in, not for device stage) like for the monitor are likely stored inside some resource DLL (ddores.dll perhaps)

Yeah maybe, but the way I am doing it I need hardware ids of some sort

Ah, so you're using device stage to override the default icons (that indeed is FAR better than hacking DLLs, but you seemingly have to sign the packages)

I can't say for sure in what format it expects a monitor's HardwareID to be in there (that info is likely in the WDK), but most likely it's the PnP ID (e.g. DISPLAY\BNQ76DB for my FP241W). Ideally, you'd find such a package pre-made for another monitor and see what they've used, or read the docs (in the Microsoft Device Experience Development Kit)

Good luck.