device/driver causing blue screen in Win7 x64

LordFett

Stop (blue screen) error caused by a device or driver

You received this message because a hardware device, its driver, or related software has caused a stop error, also called a blue screen error. This type of error means the computer has shut down abruptly to protect itself from potential data corruption or loss. In this case, we were unable to detect the specific device or driver that caused the problem.

Windows is unable to figure out where the problem lies and I haven't installed any new hard ware since I installed Win7. There are two devices in unknown devices in device manager. I have no idea what they are and Windows doesn't know either.

The computer blue screens or freezes randomly, but mostly when playing WoW. Or WoW will just crash.

Are there any driver scans out there that aren't malware of some sort?

Here is my dxdiag.

DxDiag.txt

Edited by LordFett

Windows is unable to figure out where the problem lies

And you have provided us with next to nothing either.

There are two devices in unknown devices in device manager. I have no idea what they are and Windows doesn't know either.

Lookup the vendor & device IDs. You've given us zero information about them, so we can't guess either.

As for games crashing, first thing to do usually is updating the video drivers. Next thing I'd try is updating your network cards' drivers (also nvidia). I'd also keep an eye on system temps.

If you post the vendor & device IDs from those 2 devices and a crash dump then we could help you better.

It looks like the unknown devices are parts of the motherboard.

ACPI/PNPB006

*PNPB006

And

ACPI/PNPB02F

*PNPPB02F

Most recent dump attached, hope that is what you need. (changed the .dmp to .txt so i could post it)

Looking for drivers for the NIC, video card and motherboard.

Thanks Coffee.

And system temps never seem to be a problem, but I'll keep a closer eye on them.

071810-70250-01.txt

Edited by LordFett

It looks like the unknown devices are parts of the motherboard

That's possible.

ACPI/PNPB006

*PNPB006

And

ACPI/PNPB02F

*PNPPB02F

Those aren't vendor / device IDs

The mini dump doesn't really contain much of anything interesting either, at least as far as I can tell. It crashes while checking files attributes (for reasons unknown to me), and that's pretty much it.

Given this only happens when stressing the system, and the fact that you mentioned you don't see a problem otherwise, I'm going to ponder a bit about the system being out of enough nonpaged pool memory to handle the requests coming from drivers on the machine, most notably the video card driver. This is a minidump, which isn't going to show me anything about the memory pools in kernel, but the only time you should see a bugcheck like this is filesystem corruption (chkdsk /f) or when out of nonpaged pool during system stress.

ACPI/PNPB006

*PNPB006

And

ACPI/PNPB02F

*PNPPB02F

Those aren't vendor / device IDs

You won't find them for these devices.

PNPB006 is an audio device. This HwID matches "NVIDIA MPU Driver" INF from XP's audio driverpacks NVMPU.INF. Not sure about 7, but I do not have a 64bit anything driver for this device.

I got nothing on the other device. However, there are only 2 results in google for *PNPPB02F, and both say it is a Game Port device.

Either way, neither of these are going to be causing the issue because since their drivers are not installed, it is not possible for them to cause a stop error.

But since both of the unknown devices are likely from a sound card/controller, check in your Sound Controller section in device manager. I bet you are going to have a High Definition Audio in there, if so, install the updated drivers for your audio hardware.

But since both of the unknown devices are likely from a sound card/controller, check in your Sound Controller section in device manager. I bet you are going to have a High Definition Audio in there, if so, install the updated drivers for your audio hardware.

Realtek AC'97 Audio. Vendor 10DE Device 0059, found an entry on http://www.pcidatabase.com/vendor_details.php?id=606 but no driver info.

Chip Number: unknown

Chip Description: nForce Audio Controller

Notes: Realtek AC97 Audio. Refer for m/b manual for proper drivers.

Found a driver on cnet that is a couple months newer than the one I have (Mine is from June 09, this one is Sept. 09) going to give it a try.

I take that back, found one from the realtek site from earlier this month.

Edited by LordFett

Have you even considered my previous post? A driver issue it may be, but it sounds like kernel memory exhaustion to me (caused by a driver, likely, of course). Get some .dmp files of it crashing so we can see - preferably full dumps.

Have you even considered my previous post? A driver issue it may be, but it sounds like kernel memory exhaustion to me (caused by a driver, likely, of course). Get some .dmp files of it crashing so we can see - preferably full dumps.

I have just been setting the crash dumps up on my machine using your post here I was able to get the 3rd item setup (full system crash).

I downloaded and installed the tools you linked, but in the Memory dump from an application/process that is HANGING (not crashing) step 3, I can't find adplus.vbs to run the cscript. The path I installed is c:\program files\Microsoft SDKs\Windows\v7.1\ after that there are a number of other directories, Bin, Include, Lib, License, Redist, Samples and Setup. I did a search for the afore mentioned file, adplus.vbs

Input Error: Can not find script file "C:\Program Files\Microsoft SDKs\Windows\v

7.1\adplus.vbs".

Did I do something wrong in the installation? Or am I just doing this wrong?

I have just been setting the crash dumps up on my machine using your post here I was able to get the 3rd item setup (full system crash).

I downloaded and installed the tools you linked, but in the Memory dump from an application/process that is HANGING (not crashing) step 3, I can't find adplus.vbs to run the cscript. The path I installed is c:\program files\Microsoft SDKs\Windows\v7.1\ after that there are a number of other directories, Bin, Include, Lib, License, Redist, Samples and Setup. I did a search for the afore mentioned file, adplus.vbs

Input Error: Can not find script file "C:\Program Files\Microsoft SDKs\Windows\v

7.1\adplus.vbs".

Did I do something wrong in the installation? Or am I just doing this wrong?

I believe the instructions posted on MSFN are for the older versions of the Debugger and not the newest one on Microsoft.com. You need the 6.1.x version and not the WDK 7.1.

You don't need either for getting a system crash dump. As to the packages, the old ones still work (and are a much smaller download), so until MS pulls them or they stop working on newer OSes, I'm still suggesting they be used over the ones in the WDK unless you've already downloaded the WDK for other reasons.

I got this dump, not sure if it is complete or not, I don't know how to read them, again changing the file type to txt so I can post it on the board.

[edit]It is taking forever to upload, trying to upload it somewhere remotely now, but that too is taking a long time[/edit]

Edited by LordFett