microsoft vs apple

gosh

Let the flame war begin!

http://blogs.technet.com/b/microsoft_blog/archive/2010/06/25/microsoft-by-the-numbers.aspx

Microsoft by the numbers

Microsoft Blog Admin

25 Jun 2010 12:30 PM

Comments 0

[uPDATE: We made an error in the reported figure for Apple’s Net Income in our original post – the cited source had the correct number but we somehow got a wrong number into the body of my post. This post has been updated with the correct figure.]

You probably saw the news this week that we’ve sold 150 million Windows 7 licenses in 8 months. That's more than 600,000 per day. And, perhaps fittingly for a product called Windows 7, it adds up to 7 copies every second of every day since launch.

As a communications guy, I’m generally most comfortable with words. But since Microsoft is a pretty numbers-driven company, the Windows 7 milestone got me thinking about some *other* numbers, too.

Of course, numbers are only one dimension of a story. And we live in a hyper-competitive industry, with loads of challenges to go along with loads of opportunity. All the same, with Windows 7, Office 2010, Bing, Xbox 360, Kinect, Windows Phone 7, our cloud platform, and many other products, services and happy customers, 2010 is shaping up as a huge year for us.

So, without further ado, a few of my favorite numbers:

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Number of Windows 7 licenses sold, making Windows 7 by far the fastest growing operating system in history.[source]

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

7.1 million

Projected iPad sales for 2010. [source]

58 million

Projected netbook sales in 2010. [source]

355 million

Projected PC sales in 2010. [source]

<10

Percentage of US netbooks running Windows in 2008. [source]

Percentage of US netbooks running Windows in 2009. [source]

Number of paying customers running on Windows Azure in November 2009.

Number of paying customers running on Windows Azure in June 2010. [source]

Number of students, teachers and staff using Microsoft’s cloud productivity tools in Kentucky public schools, the largest cloud deployment in the US.[source]

16 million

Total subscribers to largest 25 US daily newspapers. [source]

14 Million

Total number of Netflix subscribers. [source]

23 million

Total number of Xbox Live subscribers. [source]

Number of customer downloads of the Office 2010 beta prior to launch, the largest Microsoft beta program in history. [source]

21.4 million

Number of new Bing search users in one year. [Comscore report – requires subscription]

24%

Linux Server market share in 2005. [source]

33%

Predicted Linux Server market share for 2007 (made in 2005). [source]

21.2%

Actual Linux Server market share, Q4 2009. [source]

8.8 million

Global iPhone sales in Q1 2010. [source]

21.5 million

Nokia smartphone sales in Q1 2010. [source]

55 million

Total smartphone sales globally in Q1 2010. [source]

439 million

Projected global smartphone sales in 2014. [source]

Number of years it took Salesforce.com to reach 1 million paid user milestone. [source]

Number of years it took Microsoft Dynamics CRM to reach 1 million paid user milestone. [source]

100%

Percent chance that Salesforce.com CEO will mention Microsoft in a speech, panel, interview, or blog post.

173 million

Global Gmail users. [source]

284 million

Global Yahoo! Mail users.[source]

360 million

Global Windows Live Hotmail users.[source]

299 million

Active Windows Live Messenger Accounts worldwide. [Comscore MyMetrix, WW, March 2010 - requires subscription]

Rank of Windows Live Messenger globally compared to all other instant messaging services. [Comscore MyMetrix, WW, March 2010 - requires subscription]

$8.2 Billion

Apple Net income for fiscal year ending Sep 2009. [source]

$6.5 Billion

Google Net income for fiscal year ending Dec 2009. [source]

$14.5 Billion

Microsoft Net Income for fiscal year ending June 2009. [source]

$23.0 billion

Total Microsoft revenue, FY2000. [source]

$58.4 billion

Total Microsoft revenue, FY2009. [source]

fxs

Posted by Frank X. Shaw

Corporate Vice President, Corporate Communications

I wonder where the Windows 7 total comes from. Do they take into account VLKs to the enterprise, COAs to OEMs and Media to disty? If so that means a lot of copies of Windows that are sold but not currently in use. I think it would be hard to figure out how many were actually being used because you can't just go based on the stats they get from activations, since you don't have to activate machines from OEMs like Dell or HP. :wacko:

MSFT is a solid blue-chip stock, and even the large numbers don't compare to Apple's profit per sale - Microsoft sells far more units of product compared to Apple, but Apple's markup is far higher so they make more profit per sale. Given their main market is still the consumer space, and consumers are still buying new revs of every product it seems with each release cycle, Apple will probably be able to grow their cash cushion similar to the way MS did in the 90s due to strong sales. The problem for Apple will be if there is a real challenger in the consumer space to the iPhone or iPad, and Android (or even WP7, although I see that as more of an enterprise device with consumer capabilities, and will likely sell well in that space ahead of Crackberries) might be that contender. If Apple loses a good chunk of sales in the phone space, they still have the iPod and the iPad, although that would cause a pretty decent hit to profits YoY. I don't see it happening this year, and maybe not even the next, though, so I expect holding Apple stock for the next 12 - 24 months to be well worth it. Microsoft stock is good for your retirement fund, stocks like Google and Apple (if you got in early enough) are good for increasing your net worth before you retire ;).

studies have shown 90% of teenagers have an ipod or iphone. With 90% market share how is aapl going to grow? Investors are not pricing in growth, theyre being stupid and making the mistake that this growth will last forever, even with increased competition.

studies have shown 90% of teenagers have an ipod or iphone. With 90% market share how is aapl going to grow? Investors are not pricing in growth, theyre being stupid and making the mistake that this growth will last forever, even with increased competition.

I agree it won't, but not because consumers will stop buying every new version of every new product from Apple. They'll stop because competition will catch up with them (the iPhone is the king, but it's not necessarily the best device or OS). However, given they're in such a huge lead in an area (consumer devices) where they're re-purchased every 2 - 3 years in major markets, they'll still have sales growth from those devices - if they have to price down to compete, however, that might not be good for their overall profit and margins.

They'll stop because competition will catch up with them

That's the one thing I'm not so sure about. There used to be a LOT of competition in the mp3 player market, and lots of them were really good (my old Toshiba Gigabeat for example). But now when you look in any store locally (or most web stores for that matter), 95% of it is ipods, the remaining 5% being Sony, 3 or so expensive Archos players (more of a media player than a mp3 player anyway), and several of those bargain basement dollar-store-quality cheapos that will last you for the most part of a month. I actually wanted to buy a Zune HD last time, or otherwise another Toshiba player, but you just couldn't get either one from anywhere in Canada. I had to settle for a Sony player (not a bad unit actually) as that basically was the only other option besides the ipod.

If anything, there seems to be less and less competition in that market. People don't even have to buy a iPod based on its merits, or even just popularity (being sheeples). It's just about the only thing left you can actually buy from anywhere.

True. Then again, "you've got e-Bay!"

I thought about that, but I wouldn't have received it in time for the lucky person's birthday. The vast majority of them seem to fall in the last category as well unfortunately.

Also, mp3 players is one of those things I'd rather buy locally because I want to try it first. You can't tell from looking at a couple pictures on the web if the controls feel right, if the menus are a pain to navigate, if it feels cheaply built, how loud is the maximum level, how good is the LCD screen (brightness, sharpness, glare, etc), how does it feel in your hand, what's the sound quality like, etc.

Edit: actually, I just tried the zune software. The interface is quite nice and it fits right in. It shares the same music as WMP and MCE use.

• 2 weeks later...

Yes, and zune (at least in the US) has an all-you-can-eat plan for $15/mo (and 10 downloads of drm-free songs a month, and you can use it for pretty much any song in the library). Zune + WP7 or ZuneHD really is worlds ahead of the iPod. But, as I said before, with it's already gigantic lead in mindshare and marketshare, people think "iPod" when they think music player, really. It'll take integrated devices like phones to kill it, I think.

That actually reminds me. I wish I could wholly replace my iPod with a cell phone with enough space to be a music player. I got my current phone (Samsung Juke) for this purpose but the audio quality is severely lacking. So once we start seeing some real cell phone music players come out that are easy to use, I can see your regular ipods kicking the bucket. Heck those kinds of phones might be out already but I haven't been able to try them.

• 2 weeks later...

That actually reminds me. I wish I could wholly replace my iPod with a cell phone with enough space to be a music player. I got my current phone (Samsung Juke) for this purpose but the audio quality is severely lacking. So once we start seeing some real cell phone music players come out that are easy to use, I can see your regular ipods kicking the bucket. Heck those kinds of phones might be out already but I haven't been able to try them.

I think this might have the features you need and plenty of capacity too.

post-197575-128227345385_thumb.jpg

• 2 months later...

I agreed with you gosh,, in the race of best operating system, now Microsoft have beaten Apple, many peoples who were on linux and mac now switching back to windows after windows 7 arrival, and this is not ending yet, windows 8 is in now developing status, it will again take Microsoft to another victory in OS wars....