WDS on w2k3r2 server - deploy xp - where to place sysprep?

Hi,

I installed and configured a w2k3r2 server to deploy Windows XP.

At the moment everything is ok, my captured xp wim file is on the server and I can deploy it to the clients.

I created a unattended.xml to automate the WinPE process, works fine.

Before capturing the "XP Master-System" I created an syspref.inf and prepared the system using "sysprep -mini -reseal".

Now I don't know where to place the sysprep.inf. In the wim-image? Or on the server? Both? Maybe anyone knows?

Here is my sysprep.inf, maybe there's a mistake?

;SetupMgrTag

[unattended]

InstallFilesPath=C:\sysprep\i386

UpdateInstalledDrivers=Yes

DriverSigningPolicy=Ignore

OemPnPDriversPath=

KeepPageFile=0

OEMSkipEula=Yes

TargetPath=\WINDOWS

[GuiUnattended]

AdminPassword=MYADMINPWD

EncryptedAdminPassword=Yes

OEMSkipRegional=1

TimeZone=110

OemSkipWelcome=1

[userData]

ProductKey=XXXXX-XXXXX-XXXXX-XXXXX-XXXXX

FullName="EDV"

OrgName="NSK"

ComputerName=*

[Display]

Xresolution=1280

YResolution=1024

[TapiLocation]

CountryCode=49

[RegionalSettings]

LanguageGroup=1

[setupMgr]

DistFolder=C:\sysprep\i386

DistShare=windist

[GuiRunOnce]

Command0="c:\dokumente und einstellungen\reinink\desktop\run_once.bat"

[identification]

JoinDomain=MYDOMAIN

DomainAdmin=MYDOMAIN\ADMIN

DomainAdminPassword=MYDOMAINADMINPWD

[Networking]

InstallDefaultComponents=Yes

--

Hope, anyone can help me. Best regards, Christian

You run sysprep on the XP system once it's ready to be captured, and it reseals the system. You don't have to put it anywhere else, just capture the XP system to a .wim file, place it on the WDS server, and use WinPE to deploy it to clients.

You run sysprep on the XP system once it's ready to be captured, and it reseals the system. You don't have to put it anywhere else, just capture the XP system to a .wim file, place it on the WDS server, and use WinPE to deploy it to clients.

Thanks for that but it doesn't work.I've done so and after the deploy process the gui asks me for eula / serial / domain etc. So I think there must be another dir to put the sysprep.inf in.

If you're seeing questions, it means your sysprep.inf didn't include the answers. This is stored on the XP install in C:\sysprep, along with the sysprep.exe binaries. You must place this here BEFORE you run sysprep, as you cannot mount an XP WIM image and edit it offline like you can a Vista or Win7 image.

If you're seeing questions, it means your sysprep.inf didn't include the answers. This is stored on the XP install in C:\sysprep, along with the sysprep.exe binaries. You must place this here BEFORE you run sysprep, as you cannot mount an XP WIM image and edit it offline like you can a Vista or Win7 image.

Yes I see questions but all the answers ARE in the sysprep.inf (look above). I put the contents of the deploy.cab to c:\sysprep -> started setupmgr.exe to create the sysprep.inf -> put the inf in c:\sysprep and started sysprep.exe -mini -reseal. Then booted via pxe and captured the systems hdd. After that I added the created wim file to the wds server and tried to deploy it. Booted PE and installed the capture on another client and all the questions were asked :(

• 5 months later...

Well your sysprep.inf file is obviously on the C drive of your captured pc, otherwise you would not have been able to capture the image if it wasn't sysprep'd

However if it's asking for the product key, eula etc... maybe you put the wrong product key into your sysprep file using a single license instead of a mvlp license ?

or

Did you create an unattended.xml file that you have attached to the captured image in the WDS console, if so remove the xml file and try to deploy the image to a test machine and see if it works, The xml file automates the installation but so does sysprep and they could be conflicting,