seagate ST3500320AS SD15 (updated to SD1A) 500GB

i have similare issue like BYS or LB0, but one of the other guy on this forum said, i dont and i need to create new thread, so here im writing and hoping someone can help me.

my hard drive was hanging on window load and dont show partitions in OS and also it was showing 0gb in bios, then i did LB0 update with DKU-5 cable and finally hard drive partition show and even the 500GB (476gb), but on OS when you click on partition, it ask you to format them, i didnt do that. so i ran some data recovery software and it was doing data recovery and got few files (cause i canceled, just to see if it was showing files and it was). then i ran final enterprise data recovery software and in half way my electricity went away, so that made whole computer off and everything. when i turn on the pc and check my hard drive again, it was back to BYS/LB0 issue. i been trying to do that hyperterminal commands, but its not working. well worked half way, it showed partitions again, but says im not able to access them. and LB0 stays there for some reason, meaning it shows 0gb in bios. i managed to run all commands finely, but no use of it.

also my hard drive now makes an scratching sounds, i dont know why.. after running the command, the scratching sounds went lesser, but still they are there.

anyway anyone can help me recover this hard drive or tell me how. im willing to pay a pro to do it. how about switching the disk plates to another seagate hard drive, would'nt that work? does someone know how to do it and do they do it for some charge? i just really need my data back.

help please

abnfire,

from what you write your drive is broken :(.

See here for the definition of this adjective:

http://www.msfn.org/board/index.php?showtopic=144232

http://www.msfn.org/board/index.php?showtopic=144232&st=23

There is NO way you will be able to recover ANYTHING from it, expecially if you insist on throwing at it random attempts without a minimum of - if not knowledge - common sense.

Sum up:

• your drive was dying
  • you ASSUMED that it could be fixed with the cure for the BSY or the LBA0 problem, notwithstanding the symptoms were COMPLETELY different
  • you applied them nonetheless and by pure chance the drive (temporarily) worked again
  • you then decided to over-stress it by running different data recovery programs on it
  • you additionally managed (by working with a data recovery program WITHOUT an adequate UPS) to probably zap it with a blackout/surge
  • you continued fiddling with it after it started developing a scratching sound

JFYI, should unfortunately happen again :ph34r: on another drive, you are advised to ask for help BEFORE even THINKING of doing ANYTHING to the dying drive.

For the record the standard procedure is to IMAGE as much as possible the drive (offline) onto another surely working drive and NEVER run a data recovery program (actually never run ANYTHING at all but the imaging program) on a dying drive.

From the symptoms you posted, recovery of anything (if possible at all) from that drive, is outside the reach of any hobbyist, even of very, very knowledgeable one, by chance having the needed tools.

Your only hope, and unfortunately and apparently a very feeble one :(, is to find a good professional recovery service.

Be prepared to pay something in the order of magnitude of several hundred dollars to a few thousands :} for the recovery of the data (if possible at all).

jaclaz

abnfire,

from what you write your drive is broken :(.

See here for the definition of this adjective:

http://www.msfn.org/board/index.php?showtopic=144232

http://www.msfn.org/board/index.php?showtopic=144232&st=23

There is NO way you will be able to recover ANYTHING from it, expecially if you insist on throwing at it random attempts without a minimum of - if not knowledge - common sense.

Sum up:

• your drive was dying
  • you ASSUMED that it could be fixed with the cure for the BSY or the LBA0 problem, notwithstanding the symptoms were COMPLETELY different
  • you applied them nonetheless and by pure chance the drive (temporarily) worked again
  • you then decided to over-stress it by running different data recovery programs on it
  • you additionally managed (by working with a data recovery program WITHOUT an adequate UPS) to probably zap it with a blackout/surge
  • you continued fiddling with it after it started developing a scratching sound

JFYI, should unfortunately happen again :ph34r: on another drive, you are advised to ask for help BEFORE even THINKING of doing ANYTHING to the dying drive.

For the record the standard procedure is to IMAGE as much as possible the drive (offline) onto another surely working drive and NEVER run a data recovery program (actually never run ANYTHING at all but the imaging program) on a dying drive.

From the symptoms you posted, recovery of anything (if possible at all) from that drive, is outside the reach of any hobbyist, even of very, very knowledgeable one, by chance having the needed tools.

Your only hope, and unfortunately and apparently a very feeble one :(, is to find a good professional recovery service.

Be prepared to pay something in the order of magnitude of several hundred dollars to a few thousands :} for the recovery of the data (if possible at all).

jaclaz

i really appreciate your post and means alot to me. i also have spoken to the data recovery guys in canada (http://www.datarecoverypro.com) and they said its motor problem, they probally will change motor, but anyway it can be recover. just thought i should share here and ya it does make scraching sound (not clicking).. so maybe he is right!?

anyway lets see, if they can recover it or if someone can give idea before i sent this.

i really appreciate your post and means alot to me. i also have spoken to the data recovery guys in canada (http://www.datarecoverypro.com) and they said its motor problem, they probally will change motor, but anyway it can be recover. just thought i should share here and ya it does make scraching sound (not clicking).. so maybe he is right!?

anyway lets see, if they can recover it or if someone can give idea before i sent this.

With all due respect for the guys you talked to :), unless they have a far more accurate crystal ball then I have :w00t:, there is no way on earth they can say it's a motor problem, it could be almost anything, including:

• some component on the PCB (actually in my little experience much more likely)
  • something messed up big in the drive configuration and/or firmware
  • head preamp

(fill the above blank with any part of the HD not already mentioned)

What you report sounds however a bit strange, any "normal" data recovery professional, even if the cause would have been 100% clear from the "scratching" sound, would never say:

Hey mate, no prob, if it's a scratching sound and not a clicking one it's the motor, we will change it in a flick of the eye and everything will be good

(at least this is what seems like they said from your report).

All of them, at least to keep an appearance of professionality ;), would say something to the effect of :

We cannot obviously anticipate the diagnosis over the phone not having tested the drive in our laboratory, but we have great expectations about the possibility that recovery of your drive may, at least theoretically, be probable enough to allow a fairly cautious optimism.

:lol:

(unless of course you somehow extorted a more explicit declaration from them by means of torture :ph34r:).

jaclaz