How do I know if KernelEx is installed / running correctly?

Guest wsxedcrfv

Guest wsxedcrfv

How can I determine if KernelEx is installed and running correctly on a given system, and what version it is? Is there a test program? Or a KEx control panel?

Should KEx show up as a running process when using a process viewer (such as cctask)?

What files should at least be present in which directories, and what registry entries should exist - and would this be different depending on which version of KEx we're talking about?

What other non-KEx files should a system have (ie unicode, etc) as part of enabling a system to take full advantage of KEx?

Edited by wsxedcrfv

How can I determine if KernelEx is installed and running correctly on a given system, and what version it is? Is there a test program? Or a KEx control panel?

You've never installed KEx?

After installation and reboot, you should seen a message if it running successfully or not. Yes, you can see version of it in compatibility tab.

I've never seen KEx as the separate process (e.g. in Process Explorer).

You should ask Xeno or Tihiy (third question).

As fourth, it is the answer:

Requirements:

Windows 98 or Windows Millennium in any language

Microsoft Layer for Unicode (MSLU)

Edited by rainyd

Guest wsxedcrfv

You've never installed KEx?

It's not that I've never installed it.

How can it be determined (remotely) that someone else has installed it and that it's functioning correctly? Someone else that, say, is getting errors trying to install flash 10?

After installation and reboot, you should seen a message (...)

Well, I wasn't around when it was supposedly installed. So that doesn't help.

Requirements:

What exactly is that, and how do I know if any given system already has it?

Requirements:

What exactly is that, and how do I know if any given system already has it?

MS Layer for Unicode 1.1.3790.0 (= unicows.dll) to be in %WINDIR%\SYSTEM

STFF! :P

... and do read the fist few posts of the KernelEx sticky thread.

BTW, there should be a KernelEx.dll in %WINDIR%\SYSTEM, too.

Registry entry at:

HKLM\Software\KernelEx

From what I recall, installing Flash 10 is slightly more involved than general use of KernelEx. For most programs, you simply right click their EXE, go to the Compatibility tab (which will only be there if KernelEx is installed), and uncheck ''Disable KernelEx extensions for this program'' and it's good to go. You rarely need to set a compatibility mode.

Queue

Guest wsxedcrfv

BTW, there should be a KernelEx.dll in %WINDIR%\SYSTEM, too.

I have KEx 3.6 (or at least I think I do). There is no KernelEx.dll as far as I can tell, and I don't have HKLM\Software\KernelEx registry tree - in fact searching my registry for "KernelEx" turns up zero hits.

I have kexver.ini in \windows, and kexsetup.dat, kexulay.dll, kexfoldr.dll, and kexsetup.exe in windows\system folder, and KEXRECO.BAT in c:\.

There is no "compatibility" option when I right-click on any .exe file, nor is there any "compatibility" tab when I bring up the properties of any .exe file.

• 4 weeks later...

How can it be determined (remotely) that someone else has installed it and that it's functioning correctly? Someone else that, say, is getting errors trying to install flash 10?

Probably the simplest way is to have them try to install and run Firefox 3.5.11. (Ignore Flash 10 for the time being.) If that works then KernelEx must be installed and functioning.

If Firefox 3.5 doesn't work, then have them

1. download at least version 4.0 Final 2 of KernelEx
  2. uninstall whatever version they have on their PC
  3. reboot (very important!)
  4. install the downloaded version
  5. reboot again.

Once Firefox 3.5 is working they can move on to Flash 10. Installing that requires some temporary registry hacks, unless you are using the latest KernelEx version (4.5 RC 1). Check the first page of the KernelEx thread for the info you'll need to fool the Flash 10 installer.