Windows Won't Recognize The Hard Drive

Drazick

Hello.

Got an H.D. attached by a SATA controller to my computer.

When I click on "My Computer" I can't see it.

I tried right click on Computer and "Manage".

This is what I see under "Disk Management":

2u56g53.png

As you can see, Windows recognize "Disk 2" yet won't assign it a drive letter. When I click on "Change Drive Letter and Path" I get an error message:

2lw11c5.png

Needless to say refreshing it won't help.

Anyhow, the Disk worked just before I installed Windows 7 (It's a gresh installation).

So it's somekind of "New Hard Drive".

It contains valuable data.

Any idea how to access it? Maybe it lost its File Table?

Thanks.

P.S.

By mistake I post it twice.

Please remove the other copy, Sorry.

Edited by Drazick

I removed your duplicate post.

Sometimes you need to import the disk to see it. Oh but its a basic disk not dynamic... :unsure:

What file system is on that drive?

Here is some info on Disk Management that might help:

http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/cc771775.aspx

It's an NTFS drive.

My guess the file table is corrupted or something.

2 days ago it worked.

Thanks.

It's an NTFS drive.

My guess the file table is corrupted or something.

2 days ago it worked.

Your best bet is to inspect it with TESTDISK:

http://www.cgsecurity.org/wiki/TestDisk

Here is a sample thread about recovering an existing partition from an apparently UNpartitioned or bad MBR Table disk:

http://www.msfn.org/board/index.php?showtopic=141687

The screenshot you posted is missing part of the information, but I'm pretty sure it looks like the one in the given link. ;)

jaclaz

Hi jaclaz!

It happened to me something similar some time ago. Not having any explanation for it I felt totally lost. After many trials I deleted the registry key HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\MountedDevices, then rebooted and the external HD worked again (¿?).

your usb power not enough to get your disk work properly.

yes well...

Got an H.D. attached by a SATA controller to my computer.

It can be a notebook or a desktop pc. sata controller can be a sata converter for a notebook or he means the sata controller onboard or he has a sata controller pci card... But i think he has notebook and a 250gb or more flash drive because i had same problem with my 80gb falsh drive on a notebook pc. that drives has extra usb sockets for extra power or they have their own adaptors. i couldn't use that disk on that notebook. it see at bios, it can boot from disk but windows 7 doesn't see it. it is my idea can work or not.

• 3 weeks later...

IMPORTANT NOTE: Following the procedure below will ERASE ALL DATA on the drive. Prior to following these directions, verify important data is stored securely on a different storage device.

1>. Begin by clicking Start, then Run. If "Run" is not available, press the [windows button] and [R] on the keyboard at the same time.

In the box, type:

cmd

2>. Click OK.

A DOS window will open. Use a command called "diskpart" to perform the beginning part of the format process.

Type:

diskpart

then press enter. The system will change the prompt to say DISKPART>

3>.Next, type list disk, then press enter. Doing so will display a list of all hard drives attached, the size of the drives, and the disk number assigned.

4>.Identify the corrupted disk. This can be difficult if there are multiple, identical disks. If this is the case, unplug the drive, then type list disk again. Note which drive is missing, then reconnect it. Type list disk once again to get the new listing, and identify the proper drive.

5>.The next step is to target the right disk with the program. Type:

select disk

followed by the corrupted disk's disk number. In the example, we used the command:

select disk 2

Disk 2 is the problematic one, so that was correct. This differs from system to system, so ensure the correct disk is selected. Press enter when ready.

6>.Finally, type the command:

clean

then press enter. This will erase the partition information, and allow a new format to be applied. The message "DiskPart succeeded in cleaning the disk." The DOS window can be closed, now.

The next step is to apply a new format to the disk, and perform a test to see if the drive is physically working properly. Use a program called Disk Management to do this.

To access the Disk Management program, press [windows button] + [R] again to open the Run window.

Type the command:

diskmgmt.msc

7>.Click OK.

The Disk Management program will open. If a window called the "Initialize and Convert Wizard" appears, click cancel.

The top frame lists partition summaries for connected drives. The bottom frame shows how the disks are physically related to these partitions. We are interested primarily in the bottom frame. Look for the disk number selected earlier in the DiskPart program. It should have a different icon (a red arrow, specifically.)

8>.Right-click that symbol, and choose to "Initialize Disk". A new window will appear asking for confirmation. Confirm this command.

When it has completed, it will now appear like so:

8>.Next, space must be allocated to hold files. Computers call these "Partitions." Right-click the area marked "Unallocated", and choose to make a "New Simple Volume."

For the following choices presented, the default is the most desirable option. It will set up the entire disk as one drive, make it the Windows file format, and run a read/write test on the drive. Read each question carefully to ensure that it will meet any required needs, as reformatting erases the data, again.

Once it has completed, the drive will be accessible.

Regards!!