Looking for 2.0 Speakers

jiewmeng

I bought a pair of Bose MediaMates about 9 years ago, they are very good. If you want to save space, I think it's the way to go; check the price of the "Companion2" in your area.

Don't overlook pro audio powered near field monitors. Some companies like Behringer and M-Audio make speakers that are comparable in price to consumer speakers. I like Yamaha myself but it's a matter of personal taste so try before you buy.

Edited by Sysdll

Don't overlook pro audio powered near field monitors. Some companies like Behringer and M-Audio make speakers that are comparable in price to consumer speakers. I like Yamaha myself but it's a matter of personal taste so try before you buy.

The only problem is to find something good for 50USD including shipping (that's the price on Amazon for example).

Personally I would not buy a stereo active speaker set that has just 3" woofers; 5" and up with a 3/4" cloth dome tweeter would sound much better even IF it was using cheap drivers (drivers as in speaker-units). The M-Audio Studiophile AV30 can be bought for 80USD and that could be interesting, although again, just a 3" "woofer". Now, the cheapest Behringer MONITOR SPEAKERS MS16 are priced at 62USD and come directly with a 4" woofer, but I have no clue how they calculate the tweeter diameter (1.5"?, and 2.5" on the digital series while it really looks like a 3/4" policarbonate tweeter?), but the price looks right, if not cheap.

Pyle 5'' 300 Watt 2-Way Bass Reflex Amplified Studio Monitor Speaker for 100USD... That is nasty cheap but no idea how they would sound...

Personally I would not buy a stereo active speaker set that has just 3" woofers; 5" and up with a 3/4" cloth dome tweeter would sound much better even IF it was using cheap drivers (drivers as in speaker-units).
I would not totally dismiss speakers if they had only 3" woofers, though I'd more likely want to test them out in person. Honestly, I'd think a 2.1 system would be much better sound for the money & space once you're paying in the $75-125USD range.

These mega-review sites could help:

http://alatest.com/ (I like the McDonald's counter ;) )

http://www.consumersearch.com/