Help with custom WIM File

@johnhc

If you try bensam56's solution you can delete the files folder.

As far as I know it doesnt interfere with any installations if you delete it.

From what I've read, the "Files" folder is basically where deleted files go as imagex doesnt actually delete files from the .wim file.

If you use the imagex /export on your 1,2,3 and 4 folders you can create a fresh .wim file.

here's an example of the command-line (note you dont need to mount any images)

Imagex /export "[original .wim file]" [index number] "[new wim file]" "[windows title ie: Windows 7 ULTIMATE]"

It will create a new .wim file from scratch too, so you dont need to export into an existing .wim.

@johnhc

If you try bensam56's solution you can delete the files folder.

As far as I know it doesnt interfere with any installations if you delete it.

From what I've read, the "Files" folder is basically where deleted files go as imagex doesnt actually delete files from the .wim file.

If you use the imagex /export on your 1,2,3 and 4 folders you can create a fresh .wim file.

here's an example of the command-line (note you dont need to mount any images)

Imagex /export "[original .wim file]" [index number] "[new wim file]" "[windows title ie: Windows 7 ULTIMATE]"

It will create a new .wim file from scratch too, so you dont need to export into an existing .wim.

DJB, I was aware of the Export function from ricktendo64's videos - think I used Export once. Since my posted screen shot has a Files folder, it must not be from deleting images since I deleted none. It must be from just running dism since that is all I have done to the install.wim. I added drivers and hot fixes but did not remove any packages. I just opened several boot.wim files with 7-Zip. All have a Files folder. The original has on one file and is 72 bytes. The one I have added a driver to has many files and is about 30 MB - weird. Thanks, John.

EDIT: The question is is the install.wim file any smaller without the Files folder?

Edited by johnhc

DJB, I was aware of the Export function from ricktendo64's videos - think I used Export once. Since my posted screen shot has a Files folder, it must not be from deleting images since I deleted none. It must be from just running dism since that is all I have done to the install.wim. I added drivers and hot fixes but did not remove any packages. I just opened several boot.wim files with 7-Zip. All have a Files folder. The original has on one file and is 72 bytes. The one I have added a driver to has many files and is about 30 MB - weird. Thanks, John.

EDIT: The question is is the install.wim file any smaller without the Files folder?

Yes the install.wim will be smaller without the Files folder. I saved nearly 100mb in my scenario.

Yes the install.wim will be smaller without the Files folder. I saved nearly 100mb in my scenario.

What i don't understand is if each of those folders represent versions of windows 7 in the wim image surly there should be 5 folders in x86 install.wim i,e from starter to ultimate.

What i don't understand is if each of those folders represent versions of windows 7 in the wim image surly there should be 5 folders in x86 install.wim i,e from starter to ultimate.

urie, my screen shot is of W7 x64 Ultimate and it does not have a Starter version, so only four numbered folders. Why, I have not a clue - go figure MS? Enjoy, John.