Help with custom WIM File

OK

I've created a install.wim file which only has Windows 7 Ultimate 32+64 bit (no other editions are included).

I look at my install.wim via 7-zip and I notice there's also a folder called "Files" there (along with the "1" + "2" folder, plus the 1.xml file)

Now upon extracting this folder, it's like 500mb, so I'd really like to be able to get rid of it to cut down on the ISO size.

I know that this is not required in the .wim file but I'm unable to work out how to remove it.

So, if possible I'd like to know either how to delete the "Files" folder, or if need be to create a whole new .wim file.

Thanks in advance.

Edited by DJB

I don't think 7zip is the right tool to for wim files. I have also looked by wim via 7zip and what I can see two folder and a xml file.

I would suggest you to better use WAIK for vista or WAIK for windows 7 for wim files.

Edited by nice_guy75

Yes I used the WAIK to initially create the wim file, but i'm not sure on how to get rid of that extra folder.

Which extra folder you are talking about????????? If you are talking the ones you see with 7zip then forget about this, after installation you won't see that folder. The folders you see by mounting only those folder would be there after installation.

Yes I used the WAIK to initially create the wim file, but i'm not sure on how to get rid of that extra folder.

DJB, I also don't know what extra folder you are talking about, but after you use DISM to mount your image, you can go into the folder it is mounted to and delete away. Enjoy, John.

DJB, I also don't know what extra folder you are talking about, but after you use DISM to mount your image, you can go into the folder it is mounted to and delete away. Enjoy, John.

I guess there is no extra folder in his install.wim. He is just looking his wim via 7zip and I have also tried with 7zip it shows some strange folder in the wim. Mine showing two folders "1" and "files" and I know there are no such folder in my wim I have already tried my install.wim and is working fine without any extra folders.

I guess there is no extra folder in his install.wim. He is just looking his wim via 7zip and I have also tried with 7zip it shows some strange folder in the wim. Mine showing two folders "1" and "files" and I know there are no such folder in my wim I have already tried my install.wim and is working fine without any extra folders.

nice_guy75, I just opened install.wim with 7-Zip (9.13 Beta) and I see folders 1,2,3,4, Files and an xml file. The four number folders are the different versions of W7 - Basic -> Ultimate. If you open one of these folders you will see Windows, Users and other W7 install folders. Enjoy, John.

OK I tried DISM but it will only let me mount the "1" or "2" folder, so I can't open the "Files" folder what so ever :(

For the people who don't know what I'm talking about, take a look at the screenshot I attached.

post-27898-127915001008_thumb.jpg

OK I tried DISM but it will only let me mount the "1" or "2" folder, so I can't open the "Files" folder what so ever :(

For the people who don't know what I'm talking about, take a look at the screenshot I attached.

DJB, I misunderstood your desire to delete the Files folder. It would seem, so far, that only jaclaz has a proposed method to recreate the .wim file after deleting it. Do you have any idea what will be the effect if you delete the file? Why do you want to delete it? Typically I would not think that MS would include a 500 MB folder if the files were not needed for something. Have you done any research on what the files are used for? I just searched my W7 installation and found no Files folder or 36338 file. Enjoy, John.

ok i used the imagex /export option and exported folders 1 and 2 to a new wim file. No more files folder and a reduction in about 100mb :)

Now I just have to test it.

DJB, I misunderstood your desire to delete the Files folder. It would seem, so far, that only jaclaz has a proposed method to recreate the .wim file after deleting it. Do you have any idea what will be the effect if you delete the file? Why do you want to delete it? Typically I would not think that MS would include a 500 MB folder if the files were not needed for something. Have you done any research on what the files are used for? I just searched my W7 installation and found no Files folder or 36338 file. Enjoy, John.

The reason why I think it created that folder is because I deleted folders 1-4 on my 32bit disc so I only had Ultimate 32

The reason why I think it created that folder is because I deleted folders 1-4 on my 32bit disc so I only had Ultimate 32

DJB, here is screen shot of my install.wim after dism has been run on it. I have deleted none of the unused images. My original DVD install.wim does not have the Files folder. Enjoy, John.