eBay RSS feed problems

I am trying to make a webpage with the contents of a eBay shop RSS feed, but there's a problem with the feed.

On every item listing it displays like the following: -

ebay.jpg

(Had to put it as an image because the forum wanted to change the html code to a pound sign, unlike the rss feed)

I'm not sure why, but it displays the html code for a pound sign on the bottom line, yet it displays a pound sign perfectly on the top line.

Its not just that particular rss feed, all of eBays shops rss feeds do it.

I tried using a JavaScript to find the "& # 1 6 3 ;" and replace it with "£" but it doesn't work.

I have contacted eBay but I haven't had a reply yet and to be honest I dont think they'd care about it.

Can anyone shed some light on the problem and possibly find a way to correct it?

That's perfectly normal. It's not just the pound sign that will give you problems. Have a look at all 252 of them. They're "encoded" that way because they might be shown as different characters otherwise, depending on a page's character encoding setting.

Most of the time, you'll only run into the numbered entities (thanks god). You'll have to convert them back yourself. The usual thing I've seen is matching them using a regular expression (pretty easy for the numbered ones) and then converting the matches back to the proper characters on the server-side.

You'll have to convert them back yourself. The usual thing I've seen is matching them using a regular expression (pretty easy for the numbered ones) and then converting the matches back to the proper characters on the server-side.

Any idea how I do that as I've never done that sort of thing before?

Any idea how I do that as I've never done that sort of thing before?

It depends what kind of server-side tech you use (no guarantees I'll be any good at helping with whatever particular server-side tech you use either)