windows 7 sp1 beta released!

gosh

Yep :), but this is the SP1 Beta :ph34r:

I do like the way it is worded:

Please Note: This early release of Windows 7 and Windows Server 2008 R2 SP1 Beta is not available for home users. The SP1 Beta does not provide new end-user features, and installation is not supported by Microsoft.

Windows 7 and Windows Server 2008 R2 SP1 Beta helps keep your PCs and servers on the latest support level, provides ongoing improvements to the Windows Operating System (OS), by including previous updates delivered over Windows Update as well as continuing incremental updates to the Windows 7 and Windows Server 2008 R2 platforms based on customer and partner feedback, and is easy for organizations to deploy a single set of updates.

no new features and not supported ongoing improvements? :w00t:

jaclaz

I was thinking of getting this, but I'm going to wait for RTM as the image update instructions might have changed by then. I can only hope it is as easy as the Vista SP1 update, otherwise I'm going to have a long time to rebuild all my images!

Get a load of this. The source is pretty solid.

The reasoning behind this [extending so-called "downgrade" rights to XP until January 2020] is a little convoluted, but the details are simple enough. According to Microsoft, downgrade rights for XP would have previously expired 18 months after the release of Windows 7, or at the release of Windows 7 SP1, whichever came first. Windows 7 shipped in October 2009, so that date plus 18 months is April 2011. (Which, coincidentally, is when Microsoft now expects to deliver SP1.) ...

I'm a little depressed today at the passing of Windows 2000, but amazed at the XP extension. I do wonder about Paul Thurrott's call on the 7 SP1 release, though. It would seem that SP1 would be ready to go way before April 2011.

XP Downgrade Rights comes in different types. One of those types does indeed have no EOL status, but others will expire very soon. ;)

the binaries I end up using are different than the ones used for slipstreaming. :ph34r:

can you explain this a bit more?

Well, not entirely. But for example, for Vista SP1, I ended up using this:

http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?familyid=b0c7136d-5ebb-413b-89c9-cb3d06d12674&displaylang=en

what's so special about this? This is the Wave0 Download which only contains 5 languages (En, De, Es, Fr, Jpn). Wave1 contains all languages. This will be the same for Windows 7 Sp1.

I guess nothing special, but since this:

Windows Vista Service Pack 1 All Language Standalone DVD ISO

http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?FamilyID=a45652b1-e838-420a-b065-83960458e2ec&displaylang=en

is 1418 Mb :w00t:

and this:

Windows Vista Service Pack 1 Five Language Standalone (KB936330)

http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?familyid=b0c7136d-5ebb-413b-89c9-cb3d06d12674&displaylang=en

is "only" 435 Mb :ph34r:

I find only human that anyone using one of the five "elected languages" will use the latter. ;)

Now if anyone could explain in layman's terms while the Italian MS KB points to the download of this latter version, which includes NOT italian, that would be "special". :whistle:

jaclaz

• 1 month later...

the Windows 7 Sp1 will also be not slipstream-able like the Vista Sp1/2. Is this what you want to know?

Perhaps it seems that it will not be slipstream-able like the Vista Sp1/2, but it can be integrated with success.