Is this any good?

Junior2613

Hello good people of msfn. I was wandering if anybody could tell me whether this set-up is any good?

http://www.novatech.co.uk/novatech/prods/Barebones/Novatech/BB-6354G.html or this http://www.novatech.co.uk/novatech/prods/Barebones/Novatech/BB-654G43.html

I am looking for a system that can run MS Office and have some gaming pedigree but for under £300 not including the graphics card, I will sort that out at a later date.

The quad-core AMD system looks good to me. Depending on the graphics card you choose later, you may need a more capable power supply (500+ watts).

For graphics I'm looking at a 9800GT or a GTS250 maybe, I see their prices are down to £90 for either. Yeah the 400w PSU isn't going to be enough I will look into a 550+ PSU. Although I haven't had the best of luck in the past with PSU's.

The Intel box uses an older socket 775 which is quickly reaching EOL. There won't be any worthwhile updates for this anymore. Socket 775 has been replaced by Socket 1156 for mainstream and 1366 for enthusiasts a while ago. It's 99% likely a mATX board, which in Intel land usually implies having only 2 DIMM slots so no expansion room there either (if I had to guess, I would say it's an ASUS P5G41T-M LE). As for the G41 chipset, it uses a P4-era ICH7 (ICH10 is already 2 years old, ICH11 is due real soon), the onboard video is pretty much junk by any modern standard (good enough for Windows and MS Office and some games that are a few years old but that's about it), you don't get a PCI-e 2.0 slot (admittedly not a big limitation yet though). No SATA 6Gb/s, no USB3. And yes, the power supply doesn't seem to be exactly impressive.

The AMD box has a quad core CPU that's significantly faster, but that's assuming you'd make use of all 4 cores, which most of the time won't be the case. Its single threaded perf is slower than the Intel box which will make some things run slower despite having a faster CPU. At least it doesn't use a totally outdated socket, so you'll be able to drop a new CPU on it if you ever feel like it. But then again, they went with an older board that still uses older DDR2 (and most likely AM2+) which also limits upgrading. Id I had to guess, I would say it uses a ECS Geforce6100PM-M2 board. I can't say I'm very fond of ECS, and that board is pretty limited as well, even for a AMD mATX board (also only 2 DIMM slots). The onboard video with a GeForce 6100 chipset (not that I want to use one of those for stability's sake) is even more pathetic than the Intel X4500 (that's saying a lot). No PCI-e 2.0, no SATA 6Gb/s, no USB3 either. And most likely the same PSU.

Honestly, I find it real hard to pick between both, because both suck. But out of those 2, I'd probably sooner pick the outdated (socket 775) Intel box, because it has faster single threaded perf, uses DDR3, probably has a somewhat better quality motherboard, and has somewhat better video. IMO you're FAR better spending a little more and getting something decent instead of these. You're already talking about replacing parts (like the PSU) and you haven't even bought it yet. Buying low end trash isn't a good way to save money as you'll just be replacing everything soon enough.

I think there are better ways to spend the same money. Both the machines you linked to cost ~$300 USD. So here's a couple quick suggestions around that:

If you're going to buy a separate video card anyway (no need for onboard video), this is an option:

GIGABYTE GA-770TA-UD3 AM3 AMD 770 SATA 6Gb/s USB 3.0 ATX AMD Motherboard -- Great quality board, AM3 socket, 4 DIMM slots for DDR3, USB3 (6 ports total), SATA 6Gb/s (8 SATA total, plus 2 eSATA too), 2 firewire, digital audio outputs, the PCI-e x16 slot is version 2.0, etc.

G.SKILL 4GB (2 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1333 (PC3 10600) Dual Channel Kit Desktop Memory Model F3-10600CL9D-4GBNT -- 4 GB of DDR3

AMD Athlon II X3 435 2.9GHz Socket AM3 95W Triple-Core Processor ADX435WFK32GI - OEM -- still faster than the Intel CPU in the box you linked to, but single threaded is still a bit slower

This leaves you with $60 that can go towards a cheap case (assuming you need one) and PSU like in the boxes you linked to, or you can opt not to waste money on the ghetto PSU in the first place and just getting something decent instead. There's some great 400W units who could handle it too. Quality truly matters here.

Or if you must have onboard video for now; same CPU and RAM, but with a different motherboard: GIGABYTE GA-880GMA-UD2H AM3 AMD 880G SATA 6Gb/s USB 3.0 HDMI Micro ATX AMD Motherboard. Another great quality board, AM3 socket, 4 DIMM slots for DDR3, USB3 (6 ports total), 5x SATA 6Gb/s + one eSATA 6Gb/s, firewire, digital audio output, there's two PCI-e x16 2.0 slots in case you want 2 fancy video cards, etc. And here you also get half-decent onboard video a Radeon 4250 (still not enough for the latest games though -- no onboard video will handle that) with a decent set of outputs too (VGA/DVI and HDMI). That still leaves you with $50 to go towards a case and PSU.

Video card wise, I'd sooner pick a Radeon 5750 myself. Same price basically, similar speed as the GTS 250 (arguably a hair faster), lower power consumption, runs colder, it's a DirectX 11 card too and it has some cool perks like Eyefinity. As for a power supply, a GOOD quality 450W would handle that just fine. There's some great 400W units who could handle it too. Quality truly matters here.

I am looking for a system that can run MS Office and have some gaming pedigree but for under £300 not including the graphics card, I will sort that out at a later date.

If you are willing to pick out other components than you pointed to, we can help you out. Both systems like Coffeefiend already said are based on the cheapest motherboards that are out there. Coffee thinks they are ECS, I think they are Foxconn, but both are the trash of the computer market so to say ;). The nVidia chipset is a no-go; burns too hot and life expectations are too short.

Get yourself a simple brand name case with an 80+ cert. PSU, with some ASUS or Gigabyte AMD based, up to 5200MHz bus, motherboard, plug in a AMD Athlon X4 with DDR3 and you have nice system to build on. Check out AMD chipsets with an 8xx southbridge.

need help with it? Ask ;).

Problem is that I've been having problems with finding decent builds for under £300 which is my absolute maximum budget whereas by September that will jump up to around £650 which is why I'm looking for something with bags of potential. I was hoping to buy the AMD II X4 barebone adding this http://www.novatech.co.uk/novatech/prods/Components/Graphics-Nvidia/Nvidia9800Series/Novatech/9800GT1GB.html to it with a new PSU of course. Then after summer buy a AM3 motherboard with full blown DDR3 1333mhz Ram.

Just been to a local PC store which is run by a friend of mine and he'd be willing to trade the 4GB DDR2 800 MHz for 4GB DDR3 1333 MHz as long as I pay an extra £5.50 which isn't bad. Then a new AM3 motherboard with SATA 6GB/s and USB 3.0 for £78 or £36 if I part-exchange it for the AM2+ one that comes with the barebone PC.

So, you went ahead and bought that bare-bone system? :blink:

Any way, get yourself an AMD base motherboard 870 motherboard or if you don't have the cash a 770 (without USB 3.0 and 6Gbps SATA). Go for the DDR3 for sure!

DO NOT BUY those barebones if you didn't have already!

So, you went ahead and bought that bare-bone system? :blink:

with the intent of replacing every single part in it no less?

It seemingly goes something like this:

1) Buy junker made out of inadequate, low quality parts you don't want

2) Sell most parts and replace them (or trade them) for parts that don't suck one by one

3) Replace those few which are left like the PSU anyway, keeping ONLY the low quality generic case that's likely worth all of $20

Why not just buy the right parts in the first place, especially when we've already recommended some, and offered to further help in picking parts?

Why not just buy the right parts in the first place, especially when we've already recommended some, and offered to further help in picking parts?

My guess is that Junior2613 does not have the cash to build the system you recommend at the moment. He wants a system he can use TODAY, but can upgrade later as more money becomes available. It's not unreasonable. We're not all affluent. ;)

My guess is that Junior2613 does not have the cash to build the system you recommend at the moment

I don't see how that's a problem.

Here's the most expensive thing I mentioned (at least motherboard-wise although there are other options, and a with slightly faster CPU too; RAM brand differs based on what the stores offer), including a case of similar (low) quality than the junkers listed above, and with a decent quality 80+ certified PSU (almost randomly picked, there's lots of other nice units around the same prices) like he was going to buy later on (at least enough to power a Radeon 5750), from 2 randomly picked stores in the UK:

From http://www.ebuyer.com:

uk300e.th.png

And from http://www.cclonline.com:

uk300e2.th.png

Both are within his budget of 300 euro, including taxes and delivery. None of this "buy junk then get rid of it" nonsense involved. It took all of 5 minutes for both. You get a modern motherboard with AM3 socket (and a fast HT bus, none of this outdated FSB that the cheapo Socket 775 junker had), which uses a very recent 880G chipset (not old stuff like the ICH7) with plenty of PCI-e 2.0 lanes and two PCI-e x16 2.0 slots (in fact, all of the PCI-e slots are v2.0), 4 DIMM slots for DDR3, 2x USB3 with extra power and 4x USB2 on the back panel (6 more on headers), 5x SATA 6Gb/s + one eSATA 6Gb/s, firewire, a toslink digital audio output, solid caps throughout + a quality 2oz PCB + a great VRM as expected from Gigabyte's UD line, good cooling, decent layout and everything. And a pretty good CPU, decent ram and a good PSU. Not bad I'd say -- it's totally unlike both the junkers he linked to, excepting the case.

Onboard video for now indeed if there is no budget for a video card at the moment, and if a quad core is "needed", go for it and start with 2GB DDR3 and buy the other RAM later when needed. What is missing is a hard disk.

if a quad core is "needed", go for it and start with 2GB DDR3 and buy the other RAM later when needed

I assumed it was unnecessary for the vast majority of games (not that I follow games too much), and it's certainly overkill for office usage. But yeah, that's always an option.

What is missing is a hard disk.

And a DVD writer too, just like in the barebones he linked to. I assumed he would reuse those as he hadn't mentioned them. And unless his current case is craptacular *and* worn out, his current case might be better than what those new machines include -- that's why I hadn't included them in my original suggestions. If you also need to include those inside that 300 euro budget, then he'd lose a lot of features and/or quality, so he'd be better off waiting until September then (IMO)

Optical drives, wow, isn't that outdated technology already? :)

Now I must say that I just have one external USB2.0 DVD-RW for all the PC's I have.

I would go for option 2 that you posted by the way.

In the end I decided not to buy the barebone as I noticed one crucial flaw... It's crap. I'm currently considering this, http://www.cclonline.com/product-info.asp?product_id=34692&category_id=677&manufacturer_id=0&tid= It's got 4GB DDR2 with dedicated graphics from a GT220. Dual core Phenom with maybe the prospect of unlocking the other 2 cores. Great price for me to survive till september where I will upgrade to DDR3 and AM3 with maybe a new Graphics setup which will depend on how the GT220 behaves.