The smallest possible size of boot.sdi

joakim

• 1 month later...

I am not sure if it was this one I used for the test; http://www.mediafire.com/download.php?8lxw24t00xaaef6 (960 KB) but it may look so. It was never handcrafted the way 300KB version was, so can probably be shrinked a bit more. I just don't have the time for that now, but you are free to give it a try. It's a nice exersice :)

It works. As i see, you use volume names for advertising. 300kb one was "joakim" and this one is "tiny". I understand such behaviour but if it can stay unchanged i will be appreciate. You can embed somewhere in file as it can be seen with hex editing or any other way. Anyway i can live with it. thx.

As i see, you use volume names for advertising. 300kb one was "joakim" and this one is "tiny".

I can understand the "advertising" :w00t: mesage possibly conveyed by "joakim", but I am completely failing :ph34r: to see the one in "tiny" :unsure:

jaclaz

Not that I see the harm with the "advertising", but I can understand Kullenen_Ask's point. Especially if this was going to be used in any setting other than occasionally at home by an individual. It would probably be nicer it the volume names were left "stock".

Cheers and Regards

I never thought of it that way, and I understand your point. So if I were to change it, what would the preferred neutral name be? A few suggestions:

BOOTSDI

WINPE

SYSTEM

ROOT

BOOT

Since I don't have much time these days, I'll tell you how to.

With a hex editor overwrite the string either by 00's or something else.

For the 300KB: String is found at offset 0x1f78

For the 960KB: String is found at offset 0x9578

Sorry for the inconvenience.

Nice to see that kind of stuff still being discussed!

Joakim, any idea for formatting a floppy Fat32? ;) (semi-serious)

Jaclaz, I'm working on an Ofs clone.

And, (very) nice to see you here!