8.0.3 questions-white screen time, size of window.

I have just started using 8.0.3 regularly and am wondering why it takes more then 20 seconds to open WPI and end a process (eg, Options)? All I see during this time is a full white screen. I see no CPU or HDD activity. If it is doing Internet stuff, then please tell me how to stop it. This is way too long to wait for a screen change. I would also like to see the Task Bar and be able to Exit. I seem to have the choice of one or the other but not both. I have tried Thin, Thick and Dialog borders with no answer to my need. Perhaps I am missing something obvious. Thanks much and enjoy, John.

John = How long is your config file?

My WPI with @ 80 entries takes 5 seconds to load. Your time is not normal. In the options section under the general tab is a drop down box with many options you can enable disable, try some of these here:

"Allow check for internet connection" = Disable

"Verify before installtion if started from a hardrive" = Disable

Also the reason why you cannot use the exit window section is because this abnormlay exits WPI and WPI cannot therefore clean up after itself.

SO we have disabled that window button.

Edited by Kelsenellenelvian

John = How long is your config file?

My WPI with @ 80 entries takes 5 seconds to load. Your time is not normal. In the options section under the general tab is a drop down box with many options you can enable disable, try some of these here:

"Allow check for internet connection" = Disable

"Verify before installtion if started from a hardrive" = Disable

Also the reason why you cannot use the exit window section is because this abnormlay exits WPI and WPI cannot therefore clean up after itself.

SO we have disabled that window button.

Kelsenellenelvian, thanks for your reply. I have 47 items in my config file. Some are not used and I could try removing them. My concern here is that 8.0.3 takes much longer that the last one I was was running (probably 7.7.0). I should point out that I have a 4xVelociRaptor RAID5 and an AMD 965 (4 core 3.4 GHz), so most things go really fast for me. I tried disabling the "Allow check for Internet connection" with no help. Disabling "Verify before installation if started from a hardrive" also helped none.

OK, I understand the X (upper right), but I still want to be able to see my Task Bar and be able to use the EXIT button on the WPI window (lower right of Windows 7 theme) . So, how do I do that? Now I can either see my Task Bar or EXIT from WPI, not both. BTW, I did not have a networkoptions.js file in my old copy of WPI, so perhaps I need to set something in the Network wizard. Please let me know how to make sure it is not active at all. I have set my NIC adapter via the AutoUnattend.xml. Thanks, John.

I have around 30 items, only takes 7-10 seconds for the theme to display, on an old laptop.

The theme engine is much improved and expanded, but it shouldn't take long at all. Do you have multiple categories or one or two long ones? The more columns it has to calculate, the more time it takes.

Network settings would have no affect. Sorry, I don't have a definitive answer for you since I can't duplicate your issue.

I have around 30 items, only takes 7-10 seconds for the theme to display, on an old laptop.

The theme engine is much improved and expanded, but it shouldn't take long at all. Do you have multiple categories or one or two long ones? The more columns it has to calculate, the more time it takes.

Network settings would have no affect. Sorry, I don't have a definitive answer for you since I can't duplicate your issue.

mritter, I have attached my config.js. I am using the Windows 7 theme from the latest DL. Do you have any suggestions for me on the full screen versus EXIT button? Thanks, John.

I use a window resolution one size smaller than my screen so I can see the task bar, some desktop icons, etc. I only use full screen when burn a finished dvd.

I will send you a "test" copy this weekend with some check points. Send me an email to remind me.

I use a window resolution one size smaller than my screen so I can see the task bar, some desktop icons, etc. I only use full screen when burn a finished dvd.

I will send you a "test" copy this weekend with some check points. Send me an email to remind me.

mritter,OK, thanks much, John.

I did some updating of the WriteRegKey() to use the internal WMI version. This cut several seconds off the startup time.

Great! Thanks, mritter. I am looking forward to the next release. Thanks, John.

• 3 weeks later...

I have just started using 8.0.3 regularly and am wondering why it takes more then 20 seconds to open WPI and end a process (eg, Options)? All I see during this time is a full white screen. I see no CPU or HDD activity. If it is doing Internet stuff, then please tell me how to stop it. This is way too long to wait for a screen change. I would also like to see the Task Bar and be able to Exit. I seem to have the choice of one or the other but not both. I have tried Thin, Thick and Dialog borders with no answer to my need. Perhaps I am missing something obvious. Thanks much and enjoy, John.

How about CD activity? You might try making sure you have no CD\DVD in the drive. I just upgraded to 8.0.3 from 7.something and had the same problem as you state. I finally noticed every time I tried to do anything with WPI, it was accessing the Game DVD I had in my drive. I ejected it and its much better now.

How about CD activity? You might try making sure you have no CD\DVD in the drive. I just upgraded to 8.0.3 from 7.something and had the same problem as you state. I finally noticed every time I tried to do anything with WPI, it was accessing the Game DVD I had in my drive. I ejected it and its much better now.

dukew74, thanks for your reply. I had no media in my optical drive. As noted above, mritter has made changes for Registry access and he sent me a test version. It is much faster - looking forward to its release. Enjoy, John.