relative paths with slipstreaming

Haradeas

Breaking my head here. It concerns a win xp pro installation.

I want windows on "C" and the folders "program files" and "documents and settings" have to be on the second partition "D"

I can make it work with absolute paths but is it even possible to use relative paths ?

The big problem with absolute path is:

you start up, boot get into the partition making part of win xp. You make C and D. You click "C" where you want to install windows....

1 huge flaw here is that "D" does NOT get a NTFS defrag... D does not even exist yet => but I already need it for the xp installation cause I told win xp installation to install both folders on "D"

So 2 possible solutions:

Or someone can help me with the absolute paths problem so I can somehow make and use C AND D from fresh install boot from cd.

or someone got the solution with relative paths, so I dont have this problem anymore with "D" not being usable in the installation. and that xp just takes the partition where windows is NOT installed on and installs on that other partition the 2 folders ( program files and documents and settings that I wanted on a seperate partition )

I hope peeps can understand me a bit , cause my head is exploding :P

Thx a lot in advance :)

Edited by Haradeas

As you already know (because you say "I can make it work") you need to create and format your D: before launching install.

Unless you plan to install 10 times, this is not so much of a heavy burden to be able to use that option to chose foders on an other drive.

Other solution would be to launch the install from a PE with some diskpart script running before install. But I can't help you on that cause I've never tried (thought I don't think it's that complicated).

" you need to create and format your D: before launching install. "

Yes the main "problem" is that you cant do this without some booting cd from partition software + absolute paths = success

I wanted to make it work without the use of some partition software boot cd and with relative paths ( that xp installs the 2 folders on the non - systemroot partition ). But till this day I haven't found anyone who could accomplish this and even wonder if it is technically possible with relative paths.