CD Drive Recognized But Not Functioning

Specs

Windows XP SP3

ATAPI CD-ROM

When trying to use my generic CD-ROM drive, nothing happens. I place the CD in the drive, and no activity occurs in the CD Drive (the initial reading that always occurs with any CD drive. I then try opening the CD Drive (on the computer), and it gives the message "Please insert a disk into Drive E:". Again, the CD Drive doesn't do anything (ie. try to move the disk at all). There are no broken-hardware noises, just nothing.

Device Manager reports nothing wrong with the CD Drive, and the CD/DVD Drive Microsoft "Fix-it" doesn't report any problem other than "there is no disk in the drive", in which the solution is to insert a disk in the drive (no, really?).

And yes, this CD Drive has worked before. After I reinstalled Windows, the CD drive was actually doing something and reading the audio content on the CD. Soon after that, it reverted to a state of not doing anything.

Any ideas?

You'll need to test whether or not it is actually the drive that is not working or if you maybe need updated drivers. As you might know, the CD Drive doesn't have drives but the ATAPI controller does. If you want, you could just go and get the newest chipset driver for your system and see what that does. But a good test would be try to boot off the CD Drive.

Is the CD drive a regular non burning drive? Has the drive been able to read various types of disc media you have used in the past? A generic drive cannot read and DVD disc or a burned disc in most cases. Updating your drive is not costly at all.

• 1 year later...

I am also dealing with the same issue im running an Acer aspire 5600z my dvd-rw is an optiarc ad-7643s which IF there are drivers for it i havnt found them. here is a list of things tried 1. ran "fix it " program from microsoft actualy ran them all. 2 deleted upper and lower filters in reg. 3. changed start value for three programs that were diabled after doing re install win 7 home pro sp1.. cdfs.sys, udfs.sys, crcdisk.sys were all disabledi changed them all from a #4 to #1's now driers are working (enabled). deice mnger uninstalled and reboot..basicaly when i put in a disc it accepts it and begins to spin up and shortly after it makes a click and shuts down raeding on disk found or wrong format drive not recognizing disk.... bios sees it its in my computer i can eject i frorm control panel...ive uninstauled nero and when i tried to install itunes i got an error message telling me to reinstall itunes that itwas unable to transfer music or movies because some of the registry component were missing that it normaly usses for this function..this is my girlfriends BABY and i should of knew better than to even start on it but im commited and therefore if it dont get fixed umm neither do i ...ssooooo please can someone out there thow me a bone...thanks