Setup did not find any HD installed in your computer

COKEDUDEUSF

Could anyone explain why I am getting this message when trying to install XP.

"Setup did not find any HD installed in your computer." I have Ubuntu installed on another partition so it makes no sense that XP doesn't recognize my HD.

If your hard disk is a SATA disk that's attached to a SATA controller not in IDE (or sometimes called legacy) mode, then you'll need to add the requisite SATA chipset drivers to your XP install before it'll see the hard disk.

It certainly does. The error messages means just that. Windows XP did not find a hard drive. Emphasis on "Windows XP". It does not mean that your hard drive doesn't exists, it just means that Windows XP couldn't find one. Now, the most common reason is that your hard drive is installed on a controller that is not compatible with the original Windows XP drivers or your controller is configured in a mode that Windows XP did not natively support (AHCI for example). The solution is to add the appropriate driver during Text-Mode Setup using the F6 key. If you can post additional information on your motherboard and perhaps your hard drive type (IDE, SATA, SCSI or SAS) then we may be able to help you further.

If your hard disk is a SATA disk that's attached to a SATA controller not in IDE (or sometimes called legacy) mode, then you'll need to add the requisite SATA chipset drivers to your XP install before it'll see the hard disk.

How do I check if its a SATA disk that's attached to a SATA controller? How do I add the SATA chipset drivers? I'm not familiar with that.

It certainly does. The error messages means just that. Windows XP did not find a hard drive. Emphasis on "Windows XP". It does not mean that your hard drive doesn't exists, it just means that Windows XP couldn't find one. Now, the most common reason is that your hard drive is installed on a controller that is not compatible with the original Windows XP drivers or your controller is configured in a mode that Windows XP did not natively support (AHCI for example). The solution is to add the appropriate driver during Text-Mode Setup using the F6 key. If you can post additional information on your motherboard and perhaps your hard drive type (IDE, SATA, SCSI or SAS) then we may be able to help you further.

The only bit of information I know off hand is it is a netbook. Its a friends computer. I'm trying to help him to get XP running on it.

The only bit of information I know off hand is it is a netbook. Its a friends computer. I'm trying to help him to get XP running on it.

Usually on a notebook, there is somewhere printed in LARGE LETTERS the manufacturer's name and usually in small ones the actual model.

You read this info, enter it in google and press the Search button.

It is likely you will have access to datasheets where you can find out what kind of hard disk that particular notebook uses and possibly also to drivers for it. :whistle:

Usually this happens going to the manufacturer's site and accessing an area called "Support", sometimes with a sub-area called "Downloads". ;)

You can also (should you feel lucky :unsure:), try the "I'm feeling lucky" button...

Example:

http://tinyurl.com/3a7sxcw

jaclaz

How do I check if its a SATA disk that's attached to a SATA controller? How do I add the SATA chipset drivers? I'm not familiar with that.
We've got TONS of posts on this topic on MSFN already - seek and ye shall find.