Editable Sysprep

To start with I apologise if this is in the wrong forum and if it is could someone please move it for me.

Anyway. Here is my challenge! I have my own custom windows 7 wim deployment that I am currently deploying just using the normal Windows setup and a unattened.xml. What i want to do however is move away from the normal Windows setup and create a fully customizable setup using my own GUI and custom WinPE boot.

What i planned on doing was getting the .wim and passing a auto-unattended to it during sysprep, then recapturing the .wim and deploying it using a custom WinPE boot. Using this method however it locks down the Username, password, computer-name etc that the install creates, which I don't want as that means that its not customizable!

My question is, is there a way to make the sysprep editable in some form even after the initial sysprep, such as all the setting in a .ini file that the sysprep pulls from when i run the sysprep, that why when the WinPE boots and the user can select their settings in the custom GUI and then the information can be passed to the install so that the sysprep modifies the install.

Is this possible? If so could someone show me how or link me towards the correct information?

I'm very sorry if its not very well worded, if it is just comment and I'll try and make it more clear. I would love any help what so ever.

Thanks CalBoy.

So let me make sure I het what you are trying to do. You install Windows 7 on a machine, customize it as needed and sys prep it with your unattend.XML file then capture a WIM image of it. Then you want to deploy that WIM to another machine and after applying the image modify the unattend.XML file with different values before the mini-setup and oobe run?

If that sums up what you want to do then the answer is yes you can do that. Some changes to the unattend.XML file may not apply depending upon what phase the change is being made in. You should not have any issues changes settings within the OOBE pass of the answer file.

You can also change the Specialize pass as well. If you do a test run, you can look up the GC Unattend folder, in there is a log which tells you where the sysprep file is. It is NOT always where you copied it (sysprep may move it), but I typically just keep it in the sysprep folder.

You can also change the Specialize pass as well. If you do a test run, you can look up the GC Unattend folder, in there is a log which tells you where the sysprep file is. It is NOT always where you copied it (sysprep may move it), but I typically just keep it in the sysprep folder.

Excellent just what I'm after. Where is this GC Unattend folder located? Sorry. My sysprep skills don't go much past generalize and putting it back into OOBE :/

Thanks very much for the help

CalBoy

• 2 weeks later...