user profile folder is missing in C:\Users

netwarrior

Hey all,

The problem is that i cannot find a user named "maker" profile folder in C:\Users. The folder of all other users are present here in C:\User\(username) but only one is missing. I have Server 2008 Service Pack 2 installed with Terminal Server and TS Licensing Roles. The domain users login to this server to use some critical applications. I am not using any roaming profiles etc. kindly suggest

Hey all,

The problem is that i cannot find a user named "maker" profile folder in C:\Users. The folder of all other users are present here in C:\User\(username) but only one is missing. I have Server 2008 Service Pack 2 installed with Terminal Server and TS Licensing Roles. The domain users login to this server to use some critical applications. I am not using any roaming profiles etc. kindly suggest

Make sure the user isn't a member of any "guest" group.

Is the user unable to log on to the server, or is the profile just not getting created and the user is logging on with a temporary profile? More info is going to be needed to help you, as your problem description isn't 100% covering all of the bases of what's happening here I believe.

Is the user unable to log on to the server, or is the profile just not getting created and the user is logging on with a temporary profile? More info is going to be needed to help you, as your problem description isn't 100% covering all of the bases of what's happening here I believe.

User is able to log on to the server and there is no any problem in log in. The profile is not created just. I dont know about the temporary profile but when the user log in to the server, its desktop and everything is as normal as other users have and there is no error there. any more info you want?

If this user creates a unique file on their desktop, when you do a search for that file on the server where is it at?

user is not authorized to create any file, he just can run the given application (billing applications) using the client shortcuts present on his desktop. He dont have anything in the Start Menu (all items restricted) and he cant even change his desktop wallpaper (cannot right click on desktop or taskbar etc). All users are the members of "Remote Desktop Users" and "Users" groups on the server. I have a doubt keeping in mind this post of "Cluberti"

Is the user unable to log on to the server, or is the profile just not getting created and the user is logging on with a temporary profile?

So if the user is logged on using the temporary profile, what could be the reason and how can i check that whether or not he is logging on using temporary profile?

If you enable userenv logging and then try to log in with that user (you probably want to do it during off hours, because it will generate a lot of data), you should see a bit more. You can also check for login failure events in the event log, but those aren't as useful as userenv logging.

You probably want to set the UserEnvDebugLevel reg value to 0x00030002.

You probably want to set the UserEnvDebugLevel reg value to 0x00030002.

This is confirmed that user is logging in using a temporary profile folder, as when the user login to the server, a folder named "Temp" is shown in the C:\Users, and when the users leaves the server (logoff), the Temp folder disappears. Now what i can do to resolve this? and by the way the idea of using "UserEnvDebugLevel reg value" for debugging is not working as i am using Server 2008 Enterprise 64bit, and the "UserEnvDebugLevel" is not working for me (also Server 2008 is not mentioned in the supported OS for this Reg value at link provided as userenv logging . Kindly help me as this is really a critical matter for me!

It's not listed simply because the article hasn't been updated to list the newer OSes, but watch a procmon - the reg value gets checked. It should work. You can use the value of 10002 (hex, that's 65538 decimal) if you'd like, but you have to make sure you reboot the server after adding the reg value for it to take effect.

It's not listed simply because the article hasn't been updated to list the newer OSes, but watch a procmon - the reg value gets checked. It should work. You can use the value of 10002 (hex, that's 65538 decimal) if you'd like, but you have to make sure you reboot the server after adding the reg value for it to take effect.

Well, thanks for the help guys, the problem was that the value in "ProfileImagePath" DWORD in registry (HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows NT\Current Version\ProfileList\SID) was wrong, i simply deleted the SID of the user and tried login that user, the profile was created and the problem was solved, but i cant understand why the "ProfileImagePath" was wrong, can you tell me???

Without auditing already enabled and showing the problem in historical logs, we can only guess. Has this user ever had another username in AD, or was this directory migrated/merged with another AD tree at some point in the past? Those are the only things I could think of that might explain the "old" or wrong SID, otherwise, it's probably just a one-off that you should file away in your documentation in the off chance you ever need it again.