Weird problem

D_block

ok, so im working on a desktop machine, one built with low end lame parts , AMD Le processors etc.. The problem is the machine isnt booting, basicaly it hangsat 2 places

(1) after the line during POST

(2) after post where the machine usually boots from he hdd, ( it goes blank where the xp logo normally apears to load )

so i thought it was a hdd problem so i disconected the disk, attached it to my machine and it boots flawlessly,

Removed also the gpu it worked then stopped

switch ram, that didnt work

when the hdd is unplugged how ever the main board boots( through POST) and beeps normallly , it seems perfectly functional. it boots sometime with the hard disk, the other times it hangs eeven through safe mode... this is the weirdest behaviour ive seen so far

what do you guys think?

when the hdd is unplugged how ever the main board boots( through POST) and beeps normallly , it seems perfectly functional. it boots sometime with the hard disk, the other times it hangs eeven through safe mode... this is the weirdest behaviour ive seen so far

what do you guys think?

Actually it is quite common (IF it is what I think ;)):

• too much power drawn from the PSU (which translates into a bad PSU) :(

Try with another PSU, first thing.

jaclaz

Actually it is quite common (IF it is what I think ;)):

• too much power drawn from the PSU (which translates into a bad PSU) :(

Try with another PSU, first thing.

jaclaz

+1

:hello:

Just when the CPU kicks in and it's not idle any more, it will pull the most juice from the PSU. If the PSU can't deliver that juice it will result in a reset or an unstable system. Now I must say that a "LE-1640" from AMD doesn't pull much, but enough to get the PSU down ;).

Other than that, if you are using a nVidia 6100/6150 chipset, it could be the mobo as well...

The problem is the machine isnt booting, basicaly it hangsat 2 places

Has it been booting normally before with the same configuration ?

Similar problems could happen with badly jumpered drives but surely this is a SATA drive ? (any other IDE devices ?)

I also saw this strange behaviour with a strange IDE CDROM issue. The CDROM if plugged on IDE connector and even alone and as slave or master or cable select (even without its power cable) would freeze the boot sequence. The only way to fix this problem was to plug it on a pci ide adapter.

I really wish you guys would stop jumping to conclusions and ask for additional information before throwing OPs on goose chases.

D_Block, if you could try to collect as much information as possible for us, it would help us give you the most effective steps to help diagnose your issue:

The brand and wattage of your power supply.

The brand and model of your motherboard.

The brand and model of your hard drive.

I really wish you guys would stop jumping to conclusions and ask for additional information before throwing OPs on goose chases.

Ow boy, here it comes!

You know the drill, we all have our crystal balls ready! :lol:

BIOSTAR :: MCP6P M2+

AMD LE 1640

Geforce 8400 Gs

500W PSU ( the ones that comes with those cheap cases )

Maxtor 320 G HDD

i've tried different power supplies, same problem

Edited by D_block

OK.

(which means NOT OK :().

Now try booting a DOS on that machine (any will do, like FreeDOS or a DOS 7.1 or 8.0), I have seen machines re-booting when the graphic card (windows driver) was initialized or soon after.

jaclaz

thought about reinstallng the win xp, but the fact that the drives boots proper in my machine made me stop and rethink doing it , it will suck do to all this backing up of data for the same problem to occur

Maxtor hard drives have a notoriously bad reputation. My suggestion would be to test your hard drive using the Maxtor/Seagate utility to make sure it's not defective. The easiest way to do so would be to, either yourself or at a friend's house, download the UBCD from one of the many download sites and boot from it. Once booted to that CD, you'll be able to go into the menu option for the Maxtor/Seagate diagnostics which will allow you to test your hard drive.