got virus likely from surfing linked website/file

re8

Last night I was surfing this forum & websites linked from here while researching how to reduce my Windows7 installation. I wound up getting an infection that none of the anti-virus programs had a solution for. Not sure how I got it, since I didn't run an .exe, though I did surf websites with Flash with Flash10.0 & not 10.1. I use a 3-week version trunk version of Firefox for WinXP sp3. I sent the file to most major anti-virus companies, so there should be a solution in a day or so. (note: McAfee won't take my file since it only takes an .exe emailed in a .zip, & GMail won't allow .exe sent in a .zip, so don't use McAfee.) Here is what I wrote the anti-virus companies:

While websurfing, I got a popup from a new tray icon saying something like,

"Your computer is infected, scan now for viruses, pay for protection, etc."

I've never seen those popups or tray icon before, so I tried to bring up

WinXP's Task Manager & a popup said Task Manager was infected.

IE8, Firefox 3.6.4 (trunk) & Chrome all had redirects to a webpage saying

that said I needed to scan my computer. A reboot made this situation permanent.

I found an unfamiliar program, xeaoqlbtssd, & concluded it was the virus.

The file was in:

D:\Documents and Settings\USERNAME\Local Settings\Application Data

& it ran in a registry entry for auto-run on startup.

I removed the file, registry entries, & had to reset the proxy settings for all my webbrowsers.

My latest ClamWin Antivirus scan with a fresh defination download at 2010Jun29

08:50am does not find this virus.

If you find out what it is, let us know. As far as we're aware, files and links from this site are clean of malware, although we cannot guarantee that sites linked by users in posts on this site are all safe.

ClamWin AV...? That's horrible honestly and the detection rate is atrocious. I would very highly recommend ditching it for something better (yet still free) such as avast or Microsoft Security Essentials.

ClamWin AV...? That's horrible honestly and the detection rate is atrocious. I would very highly recommend ditching it for something better (yet still free) such as avast or Microsoft Security Essentials.

I had picked ClamWin since it didn't take over my system like Norton or AVG does. "Microsoft Security Essentials"? Isn't that like hiring the guy who broke your door to stand as door-guard? ;) I was looking at Avast, so thanks for the recommendation!

Isn't that like hiring the guy who broke your door to stand as door-guard? ;)
No, it's more akin to hiring the company that built your car to be your mechanic. It's a good engine, and I'd bet it'd be a part of the OS if they wouldn't get sued to oblivion for doing it.