HD4670 Disassembly

awergh

So recently someone game me a Saphire Radeon HD4670 512MB which has the normal cooler.

However the fan doesn't appear to spin very well and the card overheats.

So I was thinking if I could get the fan out but I'm not sure how to its not really obvious and I can't seem to find any disassembly instructions.

Perhaps I need to take the whole heatsink off but I'm not sure and thought I should see if someone else might know.

What I would do is to use the heat-sink as it is and mount a 80mm fan on it with tie-wraps, that would be an easy and fast way, but would cool also better than the stock fan (I presume it's 60mm).

with ty-wraps

What, no duct tape? ;)

If the women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy.</Red Green>

:lol:

On a more serious note, I've done that before too (using tie-wraps) and it worked fine.

If the women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy.</Red Green>

Woops, my bad (taking out the holder(s) with one hand :angel ). :blushing: . At the local hardware stores they are mostly out of duct-tape these days now the kidnappers have to register their Mexican mobile-phones. :P

That was what I was trying to find out how to do because the heat-sink sort of covers the fan a bit so you cant just unscrew it and pull it out

Looks like they didn't us the reference cooler, so I think it's a plastic cover that snaps in place with some plastic hooks into the Alu frame, now, about what model are we talking here?

270_20090812_6285_R.jpg

Check out the places with the red market dots, there should be some plastic clips that can be flipped up (without braking them, they are poli-carbonate so they can snap). Looks like the cooler is made by Artic Cooling so most likely there is one clip on each side of the fan (the one market in teh middle). I would remove the cooler indeed with the 4 screws and apply new paste on the GPU.