Getting a New Computer With Windows 7

frogman

I hope to get a custom built computer soon with the very latest OS Windows 7.

I have various questions that I would like to ask, but I don't want to ask them all at once as I often think by doing it that way it can get all too confusing.

If I go for Windows 7 will all my 32bit programs become obsolete? some of which are on CD such as Nero, and Surething CD labeler.

More questions to follow but one at a time.

Even if you go with a 64 bit version of Windows 7, the vast majority of 32 bit apps will still work (I have yet to find one that doesn't). Nero does for sure (at least recent-ish versions of it), never tried the other one.

What won't work with a x64 version of Windows is ancient 16 bit code. But even in this case there's the XP compatibility mode, or virtualization, dosbox, etc.

Nero 6 will NOT work...

Oh dear, so this means I won't have Nero for burning if I have Windows 7.

You would think that as I got the Nero CD with Nero 6 on it with a burner that they would offer a free upgrade.

It looks like I may need to purchase a Nero bundle when I move to Windows 7.

Nero 6 will NOT work...

Oh dear, so this means I won't have Nero for burning if I have Windows 7.

Nero 6 is from early 2003 so it's kind of understandable they're only going to support it for so long. As for not having it, there's always the free Nero 9 Essentials I suppose.

You would think that as I got the Nero CD with Nero 6 on it with a burner that they would offer a free upgrade.

Nah. These "bundled with a writer" (oem) versions have always been kind of old (I remember some coming with nero 3 or 4 a few years ago), and were tied to the drive brand too (might not be the case anymore), and some are "lite" versions too (not a license for the entire suite/features). Nero would like you to buy the "real" suite at full retail price for anything beyond that (that is how they make a living). Also, I've never seen or heard of free Nero upgrades from a version to another, very much like for any other software vendor.

It looks like I may need to purchase a Nero bundle when I move to Windows 7.

There's always the upgrade pricing too. And there's many alternatives that are quite good and often cheaper. I use imgburn (freeware) as much as Nero personally. Lots of people also use CDBurnerXP (also free). There is also InfraRecorder and several others (all free). And Windows has built-in burning functions too (albeit basic ones -- data/iso in Explorer, audio in WMP).

Am I right in saying that there is an option for 32 or 64 bit systems when purchasing Windows 7?

What I mean is I could choose 32 instead of 64.

Btw, the Nero essentials is no good to me as I need most of the features that aren't available in those versions.

And as far as using WMP, well that is no use either as it creates 2 second gaps in each track division.

Then it looks like your need for Nero means you'll be buying a new copy if you get a Windows 7 machine, 32 or 64bit. Consider that part of the cost of your upgrade when doing your pricing/budgeting.