Google Street View Now Requires Flash Player v. 10; AdBlock Plus

frogman

You mention upgrading re the 32bit programs that I currently use, how do I do this?

For instance I have a paid version of Winrar, plus I have a version of Surething CD labeler on the computer from a CD, how would that be upgraded and would it work on 64bit?

"Upgrading" means moving on to the next version (as opposed to "updating", that means getting fixes and functionality extensions for the current version). For some paid-for programs, your licence fee gives you the right to upgrade forever. For others, just for a time, say, one year, for instance. Others don't give you any upgrade rights, so you'd have to buy the next version. As for freeware programs, well, then it's just a matter of getting and installing the latest version.

• 3 weeks later...

I used the pre-release version of 7 and was pleasantly surprised. However, it would dump my network connection after a few minutes, using exactly the same hardware in exactly the same spot where I had downloaded the 7 software - all Gigs of it.

I find it very difficult to perform tasks I do in 98 without even thinking about it. By the same token, I find XP to be cumbersome to maneuver within, and the wondrous improvements they've made help me to end up with files copied to subdirectories of the target I was trying to pick when the sub opens up just as I let go of the mouse button. Makes me mad.

I think it is more solid than anything else they have ever sold. It will run slower, just as Vista ran slower on a given set of hardware. That said, it seems more responsive than Vista IMO.

All of the above take longer to boot or reboot than 98SE.

tom

• 2 weeks later...

It seems when I try the google street view I am unable to get it to load like I did previously.

I thought by editing the registry worked, and it did for a while, any ideas, would the registry have been changed back without me knowing it?

Modified the driver, made changes to the registry, yet still I am unable to get google street map to work, keep getting the message that I need flash 10.

The funny thing is I was on a house hunting site, and it had a map where the house was, and underneath it had a line that said click here to view google street map, so I did click it expecting it not to work, but it did work.

So it works when a particular link to an address is embedded on a web page, but doesn't work when I type in an address manually on Google.

Edited by frogman

Why have Google made it that it only works on Adobe 10 flash player for the street view?

I really do n't understand why the modification doesn't work any longer, anyone else have the same problem?

I am not talking about using KernelEx btw.

Guest wsxedcrfv

But you've got to admit - it is a very popular thread (or threads) based on # of views.

And yes, my modification of NPSWF32.dll (internal version number changed from 9.x to 10.x) doesn't work anymore on Google street-view. Google must have changed something to break it once they learned of it.

And hotmail (aka Microsoft Live or something like that) was broken for a short time today for people using Firefox 2.0.0.20. Right after login, they gave an error saying your browser wasn't supported.

Google must have changed something to break it once they learned of it.

Yeah I believe this is why more apps are getting broken, believe it or not but the more tweaks\hacks you guys figure

out they are gonna try their best to fix'em. Lets go underground and not advertise the hacks\tweaks. Just a suggestion

because they are watching us.

Google must have changed something to break it once they learned of it.

Lets go underground and not advertise the hacks\tweaks. Just a suggestion

because they are watching us.

Sounds a good idea to me.

I suppose by keeping the config with the modded driver etc will be good so that it reports 10 instead of 9 for youtube videos, or doesn't it matter cause it's the browser that causes the occasional error?

Edited by frogman