[help]add program to desktop context menu

q123

Look at method 5. This is maybe for another OS but research those keywords if it doesn't work.

http://www.petri.co....ws_explorer.htm

thanx for u r reply Tripredacus

by Google i got to this registry key but i didn't get any new item in my context menu no.gif

Windows Registry Editor Version 5.00

[HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\Directory\Background\shell\WMP] @="Windows Media Player"

[HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\Directory\Background\shell\WMP\command] @="C:\Program Files\Windows Media Player\wmplayer.exe"

Edited by q123

If that registry patch were ever to work, it would have to be edited like so:

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Classes\Directory\Background\Shell\WMP]
@="Windows Media Player"

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Classes\Directory\Background\Shell\WMP\Command]
@="C:\\Program Files\\Windows Media Player\\Wmplayer.exe"

Note the double backslashes in the path. Also note the CRLF line breaks after each key closing bracket ']' before each default '@'. Both are necessary for REGEDIT to insert the keys. Leave out the double backslashes and the name/value will get tossed away and you wind up with an empty key.

The case corrections are of course optional ;-) And you are probably aware that HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT is shorthand for HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Classes.

However ... don't bother because it won't work anyway! In fact this key almost never exists ...

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Classes\Directory\Background\Shell]

I did some experimenting with this key in the past and I believe that \Shell entries have been intentionally disabled (but I am not 100% sure), so custom entries are apparently limited to \ShellEx, specifically in this case to \ShellEx\ContextMenuHandlers.

To utilize ShellEx handlers you will need to use CLSID calls to functions in a DLL. Here are some examples:

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Classes\Directory\Background\ShellEx\ContextMenuHandlers\New]
@="{d969a300-e7ff-11d0-a93b-00a0c90f2719}"

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Classes\Directory\Background\ShellEx\ContextMenuHandlers\Igfxcui]
@="{3ab1675a-ccff-11d2-8b20-00a0c93cb1f4}"

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Classes\Directory\Background\ShellEx\ContextMenuHandlers\Byblos Extension]
@="{922b698f-936b-11d5-9bf4-d10253d4f315}"

You see that the {CLSID} is a pointer to another key that contains the path to the DLL and some other stuff.

The 1st one is the 'NEW' submenu that we all love to hate since it fills up with meaningless nonsense that causes long delays when you drag the mouse over it.

The 2nd one is a typical Intel Graphics submenu for changing resolution and stuff.

The 3rd one is the very interesting Byblos DLL that you can read about here.

So, IMHO you need to find DLL based ContextMenu handlers for each program you want to see in the desktop rightclick popup menu. I don't know about WMP but I would be surprised if one does not already exist somewhere.