Unable to open an elevated Windows Explorer window

MagicAndre1981

I tried this method on Windows 8.1 (from the activated Administrator account), but all the options are grayed out so I can´t choose this second option. What am I doing wrong?

Running 8.1? :w00t::ph34r:

Seriously, maybe the approach that was suggested for Vista/7 simply is not appropriate anymore for Windows 8.1.

See if this fits:

http://winaero.com/blog/how-to-run-explorer-as-administrator-on-windows-8-1-windows-8-and-windows-7/

jaclaz

Thanks very much! This solution seems to be working.

I realized the former solution being rather for Windows 7, but as everything is there in Windows 8.1, too, I thought it should work the same way. I only thought it´s strange that I´m not able to make any modifications in the DCOM-configuration even using the administrator account.

@HarryTri :«In my both Windows XP computers (desktop and laptop) I can't open

Windows Explorer with administrator's rights if I am in a restricted user account.

Is it normal and if yes what can I do to change it? »

This would need to be in the Windows XP section, but briefly -

Yes it is expected behaviour : you are in effect launching "explorer.exe" as your administrative

account, but explorer has special coding that it immediately relaunches itself as the owner of

the shell explorer process (that which "owns" the desktop window,i.e. you "restricted user" self).

As you correctly noted, a workaround to this windows explorer "feature" had been to run

"iexplore.exe" (ie6) instead of explorer, but the workaround does not work in IE7-IE8.

You guess there are several ways to double-smart Microsoft. Simplest method, imho :

runas /user:your_admin "explorer.exe /n,."

HTH

Edited by Czerno

• 3 years later...
  • 3 weeks later...

I do not have that but there are several ways of getting Windows Explorer (Win7) to open in an elevated state if that is all you want to do.

One is to create/use a customised shortcut so any .exe opens with elevated privileges.

https://winaero.com/blog/open-any-program-as-administrator-without-uac-prompt/

That tells you how to do it but also provides a link to a tool for created elevated shortcuts automatically. Not used it myself so this is certainly not an endorsement. If you just search for how to create an elevated shortcut there are plenty of other articles on the same subject with similar information.

I created and use such a shortcut to launch "cmd" in full elevated admin state which by default I found that, despite being the only user and admin on the PC concerned, I was not allowed to run System File Checker or Chkdsk. If I launched them using Run > cmd, the usual way of starting the Command line, it said I did not have the administrative permissions to do that.

Instead I had to use an administrative 'trick': launching it instead by typing "cmd" it in the search box and then right clicking the search result: "cmd" and selecting Run as adminstrator. All just to be able to use these basic tools on my own PC. :(

Creating an elevated permissions shortcut is a good alternative solution to that annoying problem if it is what you wanted the ElevatedExplorer.exe for.  

Edited by WalksInSilence

Another app for setting up programs to bypass the UAC prompt by using Task Scheduler is UAC Pass I use it myself on Windows 7, it is pretty good at what it does.

However, a program that is launched via Task Scheduler is started with Below Normal Priority. That would be okay mostly but if you want to set it to a higher priority then you have to edit the Task Scheduler .xml file for the scheduled task in question. Fortunately this is easy to do. Instructions are here:  Setting a scheduled task process priority

Also you can set up a Context Menu shortcut for getting an elevated prompt for CMD. How to set that up is detailed here: Add or Remove "Open Command Window Here as Administrator" to Context Menu Note that if you download the .reg file offered there then check the keys it modifies in the registry before merging the .reg file. Reason is that the .reg file does some deletions and you would want to check there is nothing in the keys that get deleted that will regret losing.

Edited by Radish