How to integrate all 'up to date' post SP3 system hotfixes?

Subtech

I think that he picked apart a update and looked inside the inf files.

Thos numbers are a GUID. It is a randomly determined number. In this case however MS generated guid for that fix and uses it in the hotfixes\files registry entry.

DO NOT CHANGE IT! Lots of areas point to that location!!! It's how windows cross references files.

Better you ask this? -X- "How do I add customized files to an update?"

Just in case = IF you are asking how to add a cracked legitcheckcontroll.dll PLEASE DO NOT POST AGAIN

That add-on is not mine. It's xable's. I've never even looked at it much. I just use it cause it works. You need to ask at his website of you want to modify it.

; /*----------------------------------*\

; | Windows Update Engine Addon Pack |

; | By xable |

; +------------------------------------+

; | http://xable.net/ |

; \*----------------------------------*/

I think that he picked apart a update and looked inside the inf files.

Thos numbers are a GUID. It is a randomly determined number. In this case however MS generated guid for that fix and uses it in the hotfixes\files registry entry.

DO NOT CHANGE IT! Lots of areas point to that location!!! It's how windows cross references files.

Better you ask this? -X- "How do I add customized files to an update?"

Just in case = IF you are asking how to add a cracked legitcheckcontroll.dll PLEASE DO NOT POST AGAIN

No, I'm not trying to used any cracked software, I am goofing around trying to figure out how to build the updates because I don't like installing dll's from someone else... I like xable's update pack and have been enjoying trying to figure out how to build the updates he did. But thank you for the information.

I thought -X- was xable.. lol

• 3 months later...

PS You need to do everything in one go. Running nLite more than once on a source can cause problems. This does not apply to service packs.

Does this apply to updates? I mean, if I integrate updates and hotfixes, nlite say some of them can be integrated normally (via /integrate: switch) and i select "no" and next run some of them can be integrated directly, because previously some KBs add files/functions which these KBs can now update.

Yes, it applies to updates because it's just a general rule. Having said that, I don't really see it causing a problem. Some here may disagree. You can try it and let us know the outcome. :)

On the subject of updates and problems: does anyone know what's the deal with nLite telling me that

1) certain update cannotbe integrated and whether I want to try the regular method (like I know what the non-regular one is)

2) a file in an update is older than the one present in the source? Like wtf, how can a file in the source data older than that in an update released several years after that? Something stinks about build numbers here, because there were at least 3-4 updates where the files to be integrated had build number like (random example) 2350 and the source is 2600 (which is the SP3 build number afaik). In such case I have no idea whether to keep the allegedly newer file...

I am using this list: http://www.vorck.com/windows/hotfixes_xp.html

These updates told me the line about not being able to integrate directly (file not present in the ISO or what):

And these babbled some nonsenses about file versions in iso being newer than those in the updates:

2360937 - sprv0405.dll in the ISO: 5.1.2600.6031, in the update: 5.1.2600.6022

2509553 - tcpip6.dll 5.1.2600.5935 vs .5625

1) Those updates contain files that are not present in the installation source. Regular method is when nLite replaces the files directly in the source. But because these files aren't referenced in any .inf's, they would not be copied over at installation time. Nlite doesn't know what to do with them and where are they supposed to go, so safest bet is to copy the whole installer (KBXXXXXXX.exe) and start it at installation time. That is the non-regular method.

2) Just click YES every time nLite asks you if you want to keep the newer file. This is a consequence of how Microsoft creates the updates. They are mostly cumulative (higher version number of a file contains the fixes of the previous versions), so you'd always want to have the file with the highest version numbers. Of course, there are exceptions to this rule, but for the public updates they can be overlooked.

Also, one file can be replaced by two KBXXXXXXX's, or two KBXXXXXXX's replace few files but one doesn't contain one file (so that's why this KBXXXXXXX is kept, because of that one file), so that's where differences (and nLite's questions) come from. When integration of one KBXXXXXXX.exe is finished, the files are part of the source from then on.

GL

Edited by GrofLuigi

The thing about version is that the source is SP3, which is which year? The updates in question are from say 2008 or much later. There is no way in hell those files would be older version than those on the cd. That is impossible.

• 1 month later...