Opera 10.6 Beta Doesn't Start

fortcollins

Replace the opera.dll from 10.54 and 10.6 should work. I'm using it now.

I read this on the opera forum and it works. Don't know if it loses functions or stabilty or what not.

IMHO

Replacing opera.dll 10.60 with that from 10.54 will still for the most part give you Opera 10.54. Have you checked what version it says under Help - About Opera with that dll in place. 

• 4 weeks later...

Although Opera 10.60 seems to be running fine for me with KernelEx installed, I have now run into a problem with java.

I used to use Java 5 Update 22 with Windows 98, and it worked fine in IE6 and Opera 10.5x.

I've now got Java 6 update 21 working fine in Windows 98 as far as IE goes, but it will not work in Opera.

I'm just getting a blank white space where the plugin should be.

Has anyone actually got this to work?

:)

Edited by Dave-H

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

I have Opera 10.62 build 3500 installed and running fine on plain Win98se.

For anybody running Win95, here are instructions how to get Opera 10.6x working, with some hex edit and file juggling:

http://my.opera.com/community/forums/topic.dml?id=763572

I can't vouch for its success, just thought I'd pass it on.

Success!

opera106.png

To clarify, these are the only steps required on an installation without multiple user profiles: 1) Extract opera.dll with the designated tool (UPX). 2) With hex editor (I personally use XVI32), change "DuplicateTokenEx" reference in opera.exe to "DuplicateToken." 3) Change "InterlockedCompareExchange" in opera.dll to "InterlockedExchange," and "GlobalMemoryStatusEx" to "GlobalMemoryStatus." In all cases, I added null characters to the strings to retain the original byte lengths.

While I can't vouch for the virtues of Opera 10.6's default interface (What happened to the menu bar?) or performance (Strange effects happen when the program runs out of virtual memory, which happens fairly quickly)...it runs!

While I can't vouch for the virtues of Opera 10.6's default interface (What happened to the menu bar?) or performance (Strange effects happen when the program runs out of virtual memory, which happens fairly quickly)...it runs!

Menu bar can be enabled by clicking the red Menu button -> "Show menu bar". To get the button back type "opera:config" in the address bar and do a Quick Find for "menu"; look under User Prefs and uncheck the Show Menu box.

To conserve virtual memory you could try disabling the RAM cache altogether (it's preset to Auto) and just use the disk cache: CTRL+F12 (Preferences) -> Advanced tab -> History -> Memory Cache -> Off.

Depending on your processor power, you might also benefit from turning off the tab thumbnails and zoom animations. I always also disable entirely the voice command interface, Opera Unite, Opera link, and notification sounds/beeps ... basically all the bells I never use.

Good to know it still runs on 95! :w00t:

These are the only steps required on an installation without multiple user profiles:  1) Extract opera.dll with the designated tool (UPX).  2) With hex editor (I personally use XVI32), change "DuplicateTokenEx"; reference in opera.exe to "DuplicateToken";  3) Change "InterlockedCompareExchange" in opera.dll to "InterlockedExchange"; and "GlobalMemoryStatusEx" to "GlobalMemoryStatus";  In all cases, I added null characters to the strings to retain the original byte lengths.

While this may work, you cannot count on a stable browser, this way. Opera will likely crash when it calls DuplicateToken, because it uses the wrong parameters, and expects the result on the wrong place. Using InterlockedExchange instead of InterlockedCompareExchange will increase the possibility of a wrong thread synchronization. But I suppose this will be reduced again because only one processor is used.

the program runs out of virtual memory, which happens fairly quickly
This could be a side effect of the usage of GlobalMemoryStatus. Due to the different layout of the used structs, Opera will read some bogus value for ullAvailVirtual, and decide to keep things cached in memory instead of on disk.

Using KernelEx could give a more stable experience.

While this may work, you cannot count on a stable browser, this way. Opera will likely crash when it calls DuplicateToken, because it uses the wrong parameters, and expects the result on the wrong place. Using InterlockedExchange instead of InterlockedCompareExchange will increase the possibility of a wrong thread synchronization. But I suppose this will be reduced again because only one processor is used.

While I'm sure that a hacked copy of 10.6 will have issues, Opera 10.1 and earlier versions weren't without their shares of Win95-dependent bugs either.

I've noticed a few issues with Opera 10.6 that I didn't experience in (unhacked) 10.1: Google Maps causes the browser to hang, and it will crash outright if I load the Acrobat Reader plugin in more than one tab at once. Version 10.1 soaked up virtual memory on script-intensive sites like Flickr and would stall and swap like crazy if the swapfile exceeded the amount of memory I had installed (128MB). 10.6 also soaks up virtual memory, but it allows the swapfile to become as big as needed, so performance is actually better for me than 10.1. It clears the swapfile faster on closing than 10.1 as well.

After some effort at testing and tweaking, I've been satisfied enough with Opera 10.6 to use it as my regular browser.

Using KernelEx could give a more stable experience.

Since it's intended explicitly for Windows 98/ME systems, I've never used KernelEx. I'd be curious if anyone's found a way to do anything interesting with it on Windows 95 (or another non-98/ME operating system), though!