Opera 10.6 Beta Doesn't Start

fortcollins

Someone opened up a Win 98 thread on the Opera Desktop forum:

http://my.opera.com/community/forums/topic.dml?id=633722&t=1278130690&page=1#comment6066462

I understand Win 98 has many more users than some of the MAC and Linux versions Opera supports. The people at Opera need to hear that people still are using 98 to contradict the popular perception that no one uses it anymore.

Someone opened up a Win 98 thread on the Opera Desktop forum:

http://my.opera.com/community/forums/topic.dml?id=633722&t=1278130690&page=1#comment6066462

I understand Win 98 has many more users than some of the MAC and Linux versions Opera supports. The people at Opera need to hear that people still are using 98 to contradict the popular perception that no one uses it anymore.

That would have been me!

:)

The first reply was very nice and helpful, NOT!

:angry:

Whether Opera will respond on this I doubt.

I really don't want to have to have two different versions of Opera installed for Windows 98 and Windows XP on my dual boot machine (as I've had to do with many other applications as Windows 98 support has been dropped) so I will consider finally installing KernelEx, which will fix this I hope.

:)

Since you lived without it up to now, I'd say wait for KernelEx 4.5 beta 3, which is due to be released shortly:

New version won't be released at least until next month because I'm *very* busy right now and have no time for KernelEx.

Next version will include the following changes:

* fixed GTA: San Andreas crash

* working latest Flash Player Plugin 10.1

* platform version check and resource limit check re-enabled when KernelEx extensions are disabled

* fixed compatibility problem with VDub reported by xrayer

* ... more to come ...

...Because of the added ability to deal with the latest Flash.

so kernel ex doesn't make 98 use more ram or cpu speed. is it just set of files new programs are dependent on?

Yes, it just enables some new programs. No, it not just set of files. It patches Kernel32.dll and implement some APIs that are not implemented in Windows 98. You cannot achieve such effect just by adding/replacing some files with newer ones (because newer ones from MS, where these APIs are implemented, are created for newer Windows systems and will not work on Windows 98).

Yes it patches kernel32.dll but this is very minimal, just a few bytes I think, all the actual code being in the new dlls it installs.

If you want to disable KernelEx from running at all after it's installed, you can just delete its startup registry key under MPRServices and the systerm will run on next boot as a normal unpatched system despite Kernel32 being patched, the patch of Kernel32 just provides an entry point for the new dlls as I understand it and doesn't affect its normal functionality if the KerneEx files aren't present or initialized.

interesting, it makes me wonder about different things like running newer anti virus. or if it affects patches sounds like a fully patched 98se is required first wich i have. i wonder how ram hungery the newer internet browsers are?

i wonder how ram hungery the newer internet browsers are?

Opera is not so hungry. I think under Win98 128 Mb will be enough for everything, and it will run on 64 Mb. Firefox is much more hungry.

Replace the opera.dll from 10.54 and 10.6 should work. I'm using it now.

I read this on the opera forum and it works. Don't know if it loses functions or stabilty or what not.

As I said to someone over there, I'm not sure if you've really still got Opera 10.60 if you replace the dll with an earlier one!

I'm not sure how much of the update is in the dll, and how much is in the exe and other files.

For myself, I've just installed KernelEx 4.0 and Opera 10.60 is now running fine un-modified!

:thumbup

As Opera.exe is less than 100kb and Opera.dll is around 3.5Mb, it's not difficult to figure out that most of the code by far is in the dll and that replacing the dll from 10.60 by a 10.54 one to have a 10.60 browser doesn't make any sense whatsoever.

Edited by loblo