Best method to get all latest updates for 2003 and XP x32

david.lynch

What's the best method to get all latest updates to build the best possible installation media with nLite?

Thanks to everyone! :)

david.nchly, I don't really have an answer for you (certainly not the 'best'), but I will relate the method I learned from Kurt_Aust (used in his great guide for XP x64). Build an ISO with the components you want (including latest SP, IE8 and WMP11, if you want), install it on a VM and go to Windows Updates and use that list to select list of updates. There are Update Packs (mainly RyanVM) for XP and XP x64, but I do not know if there are for W2003. I use VMware Player for my test virtual system - it is free. VMware Server (at EOL), VirtualPC and VirtualBox are also free. Enjoy, John.

found this, looks very interesting:

http://download.wsusoffline.net/

(anyone have opinions/experiences on this?)

Also I've used YumeYao addons with no issues.

It's what I use mostly.

Pro : you can download all the hotfixes, sps, etc for different OSs and it'll update what it needs to. You can use it indepently of install method.

con : larger size, not integrated

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Does anyone know if Windows updates are language dependent? For example, can I integrate updates downloaded by -X-'s program to Chinese version of Windows?

You can download them individually by clicking the download links on my page then changing the language when you land on the MS download page. It may even auto detect your language as I removed the &displaylang=en from the URLs.

Ok guys. I am here because like david.lynch, I have no idea how to get those "hotfixes, etc." for nlite. Actually I am in more trouble than david.lynch. I have no idea -- full stop.

This is my second attempt now at using nlite. Both times I have to cancel the process. The first time, because my .NET had been corrupted, nlite failed to complete -- and all the suggestions on how to fix the .NET problem scared me. I did get that fixed, but I will spare you the details.

On my second bite at running nlite, I cancelled again; because as I said, I can't figure out how to get the stuff nlite wants.

It's been a very hard slog for me. Half the time, I am scratching my head, and the other half I am praying I don't stuff up again. The good thing is that, after reading the exchanges here, I actually think I have a better idea now. I am contemplating attempt number three. Seriously.

Can I add my two bits to the question that david.lynch raised? Does nlite just want a list of the updates, and hotfixes? Or does nlite want the actual code updates handed to it in a folder?

Thanks again. And I promise: I'll be back.

I wish I don't have to, though.

nLite wants the actual files. For example, WindowsXP-KB946648-x86-ENU.exe.

Just download the UDC zip file from my site, extract it, then double click UDC-08.02.10.cmd. When you run nLite, choose Hotfix, Add-ons and Update Packs as one of your tasks. Point it to the folder containing the downloaded updates, and select them all (don't select wget.exe).

Edited by -X-