Remove versions from the install.wim

Jadestar

So when I'm installing vista i get some stupid choices like starter edition, home premium N (what the heck is N?), businessN etc etc..

I'm wodnering if vLite can easily remove the images i dont want and keep the ones i want (basic, premium, bus and ult). (if i cant totally remove the versions, can i atleast remove them from the selection menu?)

Some background...I used DISM to remove home basic from my windows 7 image (because who actually has basic?) and it totally broke my install file. After I did this, I would choose to install home premium and it would actually install pro..!?!? so I just went back and left basic in there for now (it makes no differenc ein file size removing a lesser version, I just wanted to cleanup the version selection menu).

It was actually imagex not dism that i used on my windows 7 file that totally broke it. I was using the imagex from the windows 7 WAIK i think...do i need the windows vista waik imagex or does it matter? The system im doing this all on is a windows 7 machine x64,

When I use imagex for delete a Windows version, that works fine; but there a is problem. Once done the versions deleted aren't displayed inside the dialog box for the version I want to install!

Example with Windows 7 Ultimate

imagex /delete c:\Win7DVD\sources\install.wim 1

imagex /delete c:\Win7DVD\sources\install.wim 2

After that, with my version Windows 7 Ultimate x86, I see only 3 versions:

Some help here:

http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/cc749447(WS.10).aspx

http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/cc507842.aspx

But I see when I delete "install.wim 1" the order and the number of the version have changed!

That means, if I delete after "install.wim 2" => that dont'match the Windows version I want to delete!! Weird!

And after if I delete "install.wim 3" Windows 7 Ultimate is deleted!

Maybe because the order has changed?

I think it's needed to use:

imagex /delete c:\Win7DVD\sources\install.wim 1 /check

Inside the attached image you can see Windows 7 Ultimate postion 3. At first time it was position 5.

If I delete "install.wim 3" Windows 7 Ultimate is deleted! The order have changed! Weird!

Edited by myselfidem

From what I understand once you delete an image from the image (so if you delete #1), the numbers immediately change. so for example

1=home

2=pro

3=ultimate

if you delete 1 then the order goes to this

1=pro

2=ultimate

So you just need to either recheck after each delete to make sure you remove the right one or figure out before hand what the new order will be after each delete.

I still want to point out though that after I deleted home basic from my windows 7 install.wim it totally broke the install and i would select home premium and it would install pro

Yes! You've understand what I mean!

But I don't know why?

I think it's the reason the installation numbers version doesn't match for an installation!

Yes it's needed to check a new time the version you want to delete. Or maybe there is another way?

Edited by myselfidem

I only asked becaues the "N" is not standard in your regular copies.

P.S. The "N" means that windows media player is not in there.

What I would do?

Get imagexgui and export the desired versions to a whole new wim. THEN overwrite the old one...

http://www.autoitscript.com/gimagex/

Edited by Kelsenellenelvian

If I use imagex.exe /delete C:\Win7DVD\sources\install.wim 1

That works fine!

I think there is only one <IMAGE INDEX="1"> because there is only one "install.wim". And 5 numbers versions of Images availables inside (Windows 7 x86 Ultimate with this example).

But the numbers and the order (place, rank) of Images availables changes after the first one deleted.

The possibility, in this case is to delete another time "install.wim 1".

With my example I always delete "install.wim 1" and the catalogs files I don't need!

<IMAGE INDEX="1">
<DIRCOUNT>9589</DIRCOUNT>
<FILECOUNT>47584</FILECOUNT>
Number of Available Images: 3
Reading image indiceis
Reading image displaynames
Reading image names
Reading image architectures
Reading image edition IDs - using EDITIONID
Available Images: Begin
Windows 7 Édition Familiale Premium
Windows 7 Professionnel
Windows 7 Édition Intégrale
Available Images: End

In my case if I want delete "Windows 7 Starter Edition" and after "Windows 7 Edition Familiale Basique", I use twice the command : imagex /delete C:\Win7DVD\sources\install.wim 1.

And I have the result desired.

But after if I choose to delete "install.wim 3" Windows 7 Ultimate will be deleted because the rank have changed (now rank 3 and not 5)!

It's needed to be carefull, because if you delete "install.wim 2" the numbers and the order of images availables changes! And you have a bad result! It's needed to check the news numbers of each images availables!

I think the number match the image, but the rank changes every time when an image is deleted.

*Edit:other help:Remove images

Edited by myselfidem