How does powerline networking work.

jiewmeng

i wonder how does powerline networking works. isit simply something like an extender? or does it send data through powerlines (i think <-- this is what is done)? but powerlines are not designed to send data so maybe it wont work well on all homes? maybe it wont be reliable? isit v slow also?

i think it maybe good if it provides faster speeds/reliability than wireless...

i wonder how does powerline networking works. isit simply something like an extender? or does it send data through powerlines (i think <-- this is what is done)? but powerlines are not designed to send data so maybe it wont work well on all homes? maybe it wont be reliable? isit v slow also?

i think it maybe good if it provides faster speeds/reliability than wireless...

You can add any signal over a power-line as long as it's not the frequency of the fase. There is as much loss as with a not powered cable, however, the interference of other "signals" is much higher.

There must be a wiki about this, hold on...

EDIT: There you go!

I tried both and i get a better reliability with powerline networking. The speed isn't that great (you can find easily some benchmark for most adapters) but most of the time better than wireless.

The benefits of powerline networking are:

- reliability

- speed

- less dangerous (the wireless frequencies are on same level as the microwave)

The drawbacks are:

- poor security: your neighbor might be able to use network if he plug an adapter. You can crypt and use something like wpa but even it isn't very secure.

- your electric installation might not support it. This is rare but i can happen.

- you need a network adapter.

All powerline networking is encrypted, the worst encryption is 56 bit.

I use EoP here, and I get 4 times the speed of wireless G.

My worst run where wireless does not work at all is at 16 mbps.

EoP for me is very reliable unlike wireless.

Derek

• 2 weeks later...

Powerline Networking is fine when used with up to date electrics.. I found it very slow but very reliable in my house which is a Victorian Terrace with out of date electrics..

I now have a wired house and only use wireless for mobile phones and a little laptop my wife uses for browsing, I would not go back to powerline now.