Taskbar is grey like Windows 2000

Ztruker

Using the latest nLite 1.4.9.1 to create an updated XP Pro + SP3 + Updates + IE7 CD and it all works well. The only problem I'm having is the Taskbar looks like the grey, flat, Windows Classic (Windows 2000) style. I can fix it via changing Desktop Properties, Appearance, Windows and buttons drop down to Windows XP Style. I've looked through the nLite customization options more times than I care to think about and cannot find out how to fix this.

Hope someone can help me fix this.

Last Session.ini

Last Session.ini

Edited by Ztruk

Has nothing to do with your theme problem but take a look at this. Also, remove WindowsMedia9-KB969878-x86-ENU.exe.

Edited by -X-

Are you starting with an original MS XP SP3 disc?

Hi Ponch. I'm starting with a XP Pro SP0 (original) to which I added SP3, then IE7 and then the updates.

Edit: Do I need to add SP1a first then SP3? That's what I used to do but since SP3 seems to slipstream okay without doing that I've been skipping that step lately.

Edited by Ztruk

Has nothing to do with your theme problem but take a look at this. Also, remove WindowsMedia9-KB969878-x86-ENU.exe.

-X-, take a look at what?

Also, why remove that update? Is it the cause of the WMP problem when I tried to play a CD and got a message about it not being installed correctly? Can you provide more info please?

Thanks,

Rich

Click on the word 'this' in my previous post. It's a link but hard to see with this new style. That other update is for something not installed on your system. If you tried to run it you would see that it fails. I don't know what problems it may cause but it's better to not use it IMO. I presume you used WUD to download your updates. WUD is good to download things but not good to just blindly use what it downloads with nLite. Better to use my batch file located in the link in my signature.

I'm starting with a XP Pro SP0 (original) to which I added SP3, then IE7 and then the updates.

Fine with me, but where do you get your IE7 package from and how does it get integrated? Can you test (virtual machines are a convenient way to test your iso) that at that point (before nLite), your problem is not already present?

nLite handles the IE7 installer all by itself.

As -X- said, nLite handles it IE7 fine if I give it the right package. Works great to.

From the nLite site:

How to integrate IE7?

Download the IE7 installer from Microsoft and insert it into the nLite Hotfixes page, simple as that.

-X-, sorry I missed that "this" was a link. On my system, it's almost identical to the words before and after it so it was not obvious it was a link. Anyway, looks like that is a problem, so I'll remake the CD, since I am getting the WMP9 not installed error message.Thank you.

What about the Win2K style taskbar though, any ideas on that?

Try doing everything in one go. Running nLite more than once against the same source is known to cause some quirks here and there. An SP integration should be fine all by itself though. So do IE7 and the updates in one go. If you decided to use my batch file or even WUD make sure you hunt down the IE7 cumulative security update and the jscript.dll update for that browser. Remove any IE6 or IE8 specific updates.

Try doing everything in one go. Running nLite more than once against the same source is known to cause some quirks here and there. An SP integration should be fine all by itself though. So do IE7 and the updates in one go. If you decided to use my batch file or even WUD make sure you hunt down the IE7 cumulative security update and the jscript.dll update for that browser. Remove any IE6 or IE8 specific updates.

Took me 4 tries, but I finally have everything mapped out the way I want so I was able to do it all in one run as you suggested, and everything works! Thank you Thank you Thank you