SOLVED: Framedyn.dll & srclient.dll missing error

glaurung

ETA2: The problem was not with my winnt.sif - Evidently Nlite is not able to handle integrating XP SP3 under Win2k, and the only indication of a problem is that the updated source will throw these file missing errors after install completes. I created a slipstream inside a VPC running XP and it worked correctly.

Edited to add: Have now tried a virgin copy of XP SP2 with no updates and no alterations except for the winnt.sif file - still got the error. This makes no !@# sense. I've rolled back to virtualpc 2004 and am trying it again. If that doesn't fix this problem, my next recourse is to try it without an unattended file and see what happens then. @#$%^&*! Arrgh!

I've been getting the framedyn/srclient not found error. I've been paring back the things I've added/changed from the base install in an effort to figure out what is causing it, to no avail.

Latest attempt: I told nlite to integrate SP3 into a clean copy of XP Pro SP2, then dropped my winnt.sif into i386 and told nlite to make an ISO. I did NOT use any of the other options - no tweaks, no reducing, no switchless installers, nothing. Installing from ISO under virtualPC 2007 on a computer running windows 2000, I got the dreaded Framedyn/srclient error.

Google tells me that this error was cropping up a lot a few years ago, but mostly for people using RyanVM or doing other complicated stuff. I haven't done any of that - the only thing I can think of that's causing it is either a) trying to do the slipstream for XP on a computer running windows 2000, or B) using virtualpc 2007 instead of an older version (up until now VPC2007 has run fine for me, but you have to hack the installer to get it to run under win2k).

Was the source of this !@#$% annoying issue ever found? Is there a fix?

Attaching my session.ini file and my winnt.sif

Last Session.ini

winnt.sif

Edited by glaurung

glaurung, what do you mean by "dropped my winnt.sif"? I see that it is not an nLite created winnt.sif, so I have no idea what that could cause. I am also not aware of anyone using W2000 to create an XP ISO. I have been around a couple of years and have not seen this problem before. Please try running nLite under XP, and let it use the winnt.sif that is created. You can do this under VirtualPC. I also do not think VPC is the source of your problems. If you want to see if it is a problem with slipping SP3 under W2000, then run again but do not integrate an SP and see if it works (use the nLite winnt.sif) Enjoy, John.

glaurung, what do you mean by "dropped my winnt.sif"? I see that it is not an nLite created winnt.sif, so I have no idea what that could cause. I am also not aware of anyone using W2000 to create an XP ISO. I have been around a couple of years and have not seen this problem before. Please try running nLite under XP, and let it use the winnt.sif that is created. You can do this under VirtualPC. I also do not think VPC is the source of your problems. If you want to see if it is a problem with slipping SP3 under W2000, then run again but do not integrate an SP and see if it works (use the nLite winnt.sif) Enjoy, John.

It's a customized winnt.sif - nlite doesn't have the ability to set some allowed and documented settings in winnt.sif, so I put it together myself by hand. I was just drag/dropping it into the 1386 folder before hitting the "make ISO" button.

I'll try running Nlite under VPC later today or tomorrow, once I get a working XP installation (which may take a while).

It's a customized winnt.sif - nlite doesn't have the ability to set some allowed and documented settings in winnt.sif, so I put it together myself by hand. I was just drag/dropping it into the 1386 folder before hitting the "make ISO" button.

I'll try running Nlite under VPC later today or tomorrow, once I get a working XP installation (which may take a while).

glaurung, I edit my winnt.sif after running nLite to set some NIC parameters that are not handled properly. I suggest you do the same or at least make sure the nLite produced winnt does not contain anything needed that yours does not have. Enjoy, John.

The fix is easy, but this says "solved." Is it?

The fix is editing TXTSETUP and LAYOUT so that

= 1,,,,,,,,3,3

is changed to

= 1,,,,,,,2,0,0

for framedyn and srclient

The byte counts of the files must stay the same. I will avoid 30 minutes of typing to explain how and why, etc and just say: replace

,_x,

with

so that _x disappears from both (TXT... and LAY...) files.

Edited by fdv

The fix is easy, but this says "solved." Is it?

The fix is editing TXTSETUP and LAYOUT so that

= 1,,,,,,,,3,3

is changed to

= 1,,,,,,,2,0,0

for framedyn and srclient

Yes, the problem appears to have finally been solved by doing the SP3 slipstream under XP instead of 2k. However, I very much appreciate your reply because now I know how to fix it manually -- thanks!