SysPrep: how to support 3 HALs

Hello everyone,

I have 3 different PC configs with different HALs:

1. Pentium 3 with ACPI PC HAL.

2. Pentium 4 with ACPI Uniprocessor HAL.

3. Core2Duo with ACPI Multiprocessor HAL.

I would like to use a single sysprep'ed image which will support the above configs.

What is the best way to implement this?

Should i seal my image on ACPI PC config first?

And how would i update HALs automatically for higher configs?

Thanks a lot.

Those three ACPI HALs should be easy to get to work. Your first idea is exactly the way how it worked for me, just build the image on a PC or in a VM supporting the ACPI PC HAL. Sysprep / Plug'n'Pray does the rest, no special sysprep.inf settings needed.

A few years ago the most common method was to build on the Advanced ACPI HAL type, and then when deploying the image, detect the hal type and have a script that copied the necessary files and adjust syspprep.inf for the other HAL types. In these days the Advanced ACPI is mostly gone, so companies rather build their images on the MultiProc ACPI, but still use the script to copy necessary HAL files.

Most times it's not necessary to copy the correct files, for example when going from MultiProc to UniProc, but you will find hardware where this is needed. I wrote a script for this a few years back..

A geeks guide to Windows XP HAL Replacement

http://www.myitforum.com/articles/47/view.asp?id=8997

/ Johan

Those three ACPI HALs should be easy to get to work. Your first idea is exactly the way how it worked for me, just build the image on a PC or in a VM supporting the ACPI PC HAL. Sysprep / Plug'n'Pray does the rest, no special sysprep.inf settings needed.

bj-kaiser, thanks, but it didn't work:.

I've sealed the image on ACPI PC system and then ran it on ACPI Uniprocessor, but the HAL remained ACPI PC.

In SysPrep dialog i didn't select "Scan for non-plug and play hardware" option.

Any ideas?

A few years ago the most common method was to build on the Advanced ACPI HAL type, and then when deploying the image, detect the hal type and have a script that copied the necessary files and adjust syspprep.inf for the other HAL types. In these days the Advanced ACPI is mostly gone, so companies rather build their images on the MultiProc ACPI, but still use the script to copy necessary HAL files.

Most times it's not necessary to copy the correct files, for example when going from MultiProc to UniProc, but you will find hardware where this is needed. I wrote a script for this a few years back..

A geeks guide to Windows XP HAL Replacement

http://www.myitforum.com/articles/47/view.asp?id=8997

/ Johan

Thanks for the advice Johan, i'm looking into it.

When should i use your script, during SysPrep?

Edited by SkyFox

Tripredacus, Johan,

I don't understand how to use these scripts in SysPrep scenario, as they intended for WinPE setup.

From reading how MySysPrep works, it seems that i need to integrate these at the registry "HKLM\SYSTEM\Setup\CmdLine"

and then call the "setup.exe -newsetup -mini" for Mini-Setup.

If it has been done before i will appreciate some examples.