Hidden message or Virus?!?

Fr33m4n

Diggin through my drawer i found an old 2GB usb stick that I had gotten at work some time ago. I plugged it into my machine and discovered it contained a few old work documents. Since none of it was essential I decided to reformat the drive. I left the name as "untitled" and proceded to format it as fat32. What happened next is complete mystery.

The drive somehow formated itself into two partitions where one was a 500mb hidden unaccessible partition with the name "untitled" and the other partition was 1.5GB and had named itself "arid in Pes". I then opened the "arid in Pes" partition and was surprised to see that it contained 81 files all of which was 0 kb in size and no extension but had different file names. If you read through the list of files you could make out fragments of sentances spanning several files. It was really wierd. I'm attatching two screenshot of the files.

So what do you guys think this is? A virus or a cleverly hidden message?

post-83748-127560316731_thumb.png

post-83748-127560317749_thumb.png

It seems more likely that, in the course of formatting the USB stick, the location of the file allocation table was changed to overlap what was once the contents of a text file. What you are seeing were the previous contents of that text file.

That would be amazing, but seriously, what's the odds of something like that happening? I can't quite think of which text file it would be either. The contents sound more like something out of a novel really.

So what do you guys think this is? A virus or a cleverly hidden message?

A Virus (that did his work) or a half dead USB thump-drive that doesn't let you format it well. Now, remove the partitions with disk-manager and remove the drive from the PC, plug it back in and make a new partition, format it with fat32 or NTFS or so. now, let's see what happens.

half dead USB thump-drive

:lol:

I wasn't joking, there is more to it than 1 and 0. What I mend was: You can access the drive but can't set some bits to 0 again. (that LoL sign is on the wrong side of the screen ;))

half dead USB thump-drive

:lol:

I wasn't joking, there is more to it than 1 and 0. What I mend was: You can access the drive but can't set some bits to 0 again. (that LoL sign is on the wrong side of the screen ;))

Thump thump :whistle:

• 1 month later...