Problem with a Hanging Win 98

Krish

Have you tried installing to your 40gb HDD with just the original CD (e.g. the win98 folder). Try booting to the UBCD, Select DOS, format the HDD, MD (Make Directory) on that drive a WIN98 folder, XCOPY the contents of the CD's Win98 folder (including subdirectories) to it, switch to the C:\WIN98 folder (where you xopie'd to), and run SETUP.EXE. This gets you a non-UBCD'd install (i.e. as if you used the CD). Based upon your specs, you SHOULD be able to use it. You may lack correct drivers and will not have the Upadtes (etc) as in the UBCD, but at least it proves you WIN98 Source (the CD) is good.

I have Dual Boot PC i.e. XP & UBCD 98

Ram : 1 GB

HDD1 : 40 GB

HDD2 : 160 GB

Processor : Intel P4

Mother Board : Asus P4GE MX

Is XP on the first partition? Normally, XP is installed after 98SE.
I using this

[Vcahe]

MaxFileCahe=522240

[386Enh]

MaxPhysPage=20000

ConservativeSwapfileUsage=1

UBCD would have done that for you (referencing your first post linking to GT1Gib topic)
Other

Kernel Ex : 4.5 RC-5

Revolution Pack : 9.7

As I said, you don't want to install those until you are sure your normal install is stable.

BTW, you are aware that UBCD is in English Only (as is AutoPatcher). If you use any other language package, they will be fake. If you try to use any other language of 98SE neither UBCD or AutoPatcher will work.

Curiosity, what type of keyboard/mouse are you using?

Have you tried installing to your 40gb HDD with just the original CD (e.g. the win98 folder). Try booting to the UBCD, Select DOS, format the HDD, MD (Make Directory) on that drive a WIN98 folder, XCOPY the contents of the CD's Win98 folder (including subdirectories) to it, switch to the C:\WIN98 folder (where you xopie'd to), and run SETUP.EXE. This gets you a non-UBCD'd install (i.e. as if you used the CD). Based upon your specs, you SHOULD be able to use it. You may lack correct drivers and will not have the Upadtes (etc) as in the UBCD, but at least it proves you WIN98 Source (the CD) is good.

Before 2 years ago my system stable with original windows 98 setup. At that time i have 128 mb ram. After that i Upgrade Ram with 1 GB So I am going with UBCD for clearing difficulty in 1GB Ram.
I have Dual Boot PC i.e. XP & UBCD 98

Ram : 1 GB

HDD1 : 40 GB

HDD2 : 160 GB

Processor : Intel P4

Mother Board : Asus P4GE MX

Is XP on the first partition? Normally, XP is installed after 98SE.

There is no system in C Drive. C Drive is only for Boot loading, it was accidentally when i install 98SE other than C drive. I am not advanced user. XP and 98 SE Installed in 2 separate drives. 98SE already on 40gb HDD & XP on 160gb HDD.

I using this

[Vcahe]

MaxFileCahe=522240

[386Enh]

MaxPhysPage=20000

ConservativeSwapfileUsage=1

UBCD would have done that for you (referencing your first post linking to GT1Gib topic)

No! UBCD not done that when ever UBCD installs update the setup is interrupt & when I manually edit in booting with dos above [Vcahe] & [386Enh] & save it was done for me.

BTW, you are aware that UBCD is in English Only (as is AutoPatcher). If you use any other language package, they will be fake. If you try to use any other language of 98SE neither UBCD or AutoPatcher will work.

I use English Language

Curiosity, what type of keyboard/mouse are you using?

I use standard English Keyboard/mouse.

Edited by Krish

At first I thought, why copy the win98 directory to the HDD to run it from there, why not simply run 'setup.exe' from the win98 directory on the CDROM? But I figure there'll be some reboots that would cause the 'setup.exe' in the root directory of the CDROM to be invoked, right?

Also, if you format the HDD, don't forget the "/s" option to put the system files there.

Finally, I presume using the UBCD in this way would be analogous to simply using a standard W98SE CDROM, albeit a bit less convenient.

Joe.

At first I thought, why copy the win98 directory to the HDD to run it from there, why not simply run 'setup.exe' from the win98 directory on the CDROM? But I figure there'll be some reboots that would cause the 'setup.exe' in the root directory of the CDROM to be invoked, right?

Also, if you format the HDD, don't forget the "/s" option to put the system files there.

Finally, I presume using the UBCD in this way would be analogous to simply using a standard W98SE CDROM, albeit a bit less convenient.

Joe.

Ok, let me clear this up...

UBCD

1 - Performs "MD C:\WINDOWS" then "MD C:\WINDOWS\SETUP"

2 - Copies CD's WIN98 folder to above

3 - Copies "COPYOVER" folder to above (for Phase One Basic Install/Basic Updates, named in MSBATCH.INF)

4 - Run each compressed Driver Module (which extracts to specific folders named in the MSBATCH.INF)

5 - Runs Setup

6 - After Phase One, reboots into subsequent Phases (accessing the CD)

7 - Last Phase runs WPI (accessing the CD, which incidentally Autoruns as well)

Test it out... Install using UBCD, then interrupt the first DOS screen after "Running 98 First Time" reboot and take a look-see at the contents of the HDD; see all of those files just waiting to be installed? Inspect your UBCD disk, particularly the UNATTEND.BAT, PRESAVE.BAT, POSTSAVE.BAT and the DESKTOPn.BAT files; These are the bad boys that do the grunt work (and the initial specifications are in the MSBATCH.INF - look inside it)

OEM/Standard

1 - Performs "MD C:\WINDOWS" then "MD C:\WINDOWS\OPTIONS" then "MD C:\WINDOWS\OPTIONS\CABS"

* - note - Additional INF's/Drivers may be placed in that folder as well

3 - Setup is run

* - note - may be done via a Special OEM Boot Disk (DRVCOPY.INF is used to get the CD Driver over to HDD; never played with it much)

It's worth noting that I have "altered" the UBCD to allow for running directly from the HDD. It requires understanding all of the batch (BAT) file constructs. Also, just make a W98SE EBD, copy XCOPY over to it, do the OEM/Standard method as follows -

1 - MD C:\WIN98

2 - XCOPY x:\WIN98\*.* C:\WIN98 <--x is your CD

3 - CD C:\WIN98

4 - C:

5 - SETUP

Voila! Installing from HDD, and no reboots to access the CD. This info is all over the internet. It works for 2K/XP/2K3 as well (provided you FDISK/FORMAT as FAT32). This is the method I had proposed.

You don't need the "/s" option as it only copies system files to the C-drive. Simply FDISK/FORMAT will create the MBR/PBR. All you need is to make the partition ACTIVE. The act of switching to the C-drive takes care of it.

Yes, UBCD and Standard CD are analogous. The difference is, that UBCD does some OEM-style install and then some. Running from CD does not copy the WIN98 folder over; UBCD and OEM-style does (no more need for CD in ADD/REMOVE).

HTH your understanding...

edit - and for reference (re. KernelEX and RP ). Also try looking (again) at this thread. You may not be changing the correct parameters for memory allocation in SYSTEM.INI. And (noting you have a 140-GiB HDD) look here.

Edited by submix8c

Ok, let me clear this up...

UBCD

1 - Performs "MD C:\WINDOWS" then "MD C:\WINDOWS\SETUP"

3 - Copies "COPYOVER" folder to above (for Phase One Basic Install/Basic Updates, named in MSBATCH.INF)

4 - Run each compressed Driver Module (which extracts to specific folders named in the MSBATCH.INF)

5 - Runs Setup

6 - After Phase One, reboots into subsequent Phases (accessing the CD)

7 - Last Phase runs WPI (accessing the CD, which incidentally Autoruns as well)

Test it out... Install using UBCD, then interrupt the first DOS screen after "Running 98 First Time" reboot and take a look-see at the contents of the HDD; see all of those files just waiting to be installed? Inspect your UBCD disk, particularly the UNATTEND.BAT, PRESAVE.BAT, POSTSAVE.BAT and the DESKTOPn.BAT files; These are the bad boys that do the grunt work (and the initial specifications are in the MSBATCH.INF - look inside it)

OEM/Standard

1 - Performs "MD C:\WINDOWS" then "MD C:\WINDOWS\OPTIONS" then "MD C:\WINDOWS\OPTIONS\CABS"

* - note - Additional INF's/Drivers may be placed in that folder as well

3 - Setup is run

* - note - may be done via a Special OEM Boot Disk (DRVCOPY.INF is used to get the CD Driver over to HDD; never played with it much)

It's worth noting that I have "altered" the UBCD to allow for running directly from the HDD. It requires understanding all of the batch (BAT) file constructs. Also, just make a W98SE EBD, copy XCOPY over to it, do the OEM/Standard method as follows -

1 - MD C:\WIN98

2 - XCOPY x:\WIN98\*.* C:\WIN98 <--x is your CD

3 - CD C:\WIN98

4 - C:

5 - SETUP

Voila! Installing from HDD, and no reboots to access the CD. This info is all over the internet. It works for 2K/XP/2K3 as well (provided you FDISK/FORMAT as FAT32). This is the method I had proposed.

You don't need the "/s" option as it only copies system files to the C-drive. Simply FDISK/FORMAT will create the MBR/PBR. All you need is to make the partition ACTIVE. The act of switching to the C-drive takes care of it.

Yes, UBCD and Standard CD are analogous. The difference is, that UBCD does some OEM-style install and then some. Running from CD does not copy the WIN98 folder over; UBCD and OEM-style does (no more need for CD in ADD/REMOVE).

HTH your understanding...

Thank you very much for that explanation, I've copied and saved it as "UBCD.txt", so when the need arises (hey, I ain't game to try this stuff on a working system;-) I'll be sufficiently enlightened to know what I should do (and have some control over the outcome). :)

Joe.