How do I skip the Open File Security Warning

I just started using WPI (awesome app by the way!), but I'm getting a security warning before installing each program. I'm using Windows 7, and the warning I get is "Open File - Security Warning". Once I click OK, the rest is silent. I don't want to disable this warning functionality permanently, just while WPI is installing. Maybe there is something I can add to the command line, like /s or something? Any help would be appreciated.

What file throws the warning, and from what path is it running? Usually you get that warning when a file has been downloaded from the internet (and still has the unsafe flag set in it's file stream), or you're running something from a network source (and the network server's path isn't listed in the Local Intranet Zone in IE).

What file throws the warning, and from what path is it running? Usually you get that warning when a file has been downloaded from the internet (and still has the unsafe flag set in it's file stream), or you're running something from a network source (and the network server's path isn't listed in the Local Intranet Zone in IE).

It doesn't seem to matter what program - almost all of them throw that warning. The warning says "The publisher could not be verified. Are you sure you want to run this software?" It is not being run from a network drive, but rather from my desktop. Isn't there a way to skip this warning? I'm going to deploy WPI upon the initial install of windows, but I want it to run without any user intervention (bypassing all prompts, etc).

Try the following registry modification (documented pretty well here) before running WPI:

Key:   HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Policies\Associations
Value: LowRiskFileTypes
Type: REG_SZ
Data: .exe

Try the following registry modification (documented pretty well here) before running WPI:

Key:   HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Policies\Associations
Value: LowRiskFileTypes
Type: REG_SZ
Data: .exe

Awesome! That's exactly what I need. Now how can I make it into a script, one to run before, and then one to run after WPI completes, to change it back to have the security again.

That key, and 2 others, are already set internally by WPI. If it is not working properly, as in, need to set before WPI runs, then I can update the WPI.exe to set them before the mshta is launched.

Keep me informed.

That key, and 2 others, are already set internally by WPI. If it is not working properly, as in, need to set before WPI runs, then I can update the WPI.exe to set them before the mshta is launched.

Keep me informed.

Ok, I did a little more testing and found out that it's only happening when I run WPI from a network drive. Is that supposed to happen?

Ok, I did a little more testing and found out that it's only happening when I run WPI from a network drive. Is that supposed to happen?

Emphasis mine:

Usually you get that warning when a file has been downloaded from the internet (and still has the unsafe flag set in it's file stream), or you're running something from a network source (and the network server's path isn't listed in the Local Intranet Zone in IE).

Emphasis mine:

Usually you get that warning when a file has been downloaded from the internet (and still has the unsafe flag set in it's file stream), or you're running something from a network source (and the network server's path isn't listed in the Local Intranet Zone in IE).

Sorry, guys that was my bad. I was testing it on a Virtual Box, so I sort of forgot that I was running it from a network drive. Anyway thanks for your help and the terrific program!

• 6 months later...

Sorry to relaunch an old post...

I'm just updating my WPI USB disk and keep getting a similar problem, but mine is only related to downloaded and updated apps. How do I clear the unsafe flag on the downloaded file?

---------8<---------

Please disregard...I found the setting...cheers!

Edited by djackson

• 1 month later...

I'm just updating my WPI USB disk and keep getting a similar problem, but mine is only related to downloaded and updated apps. How do I clear the unsafe flag on the downloaded file?

---------8<---------

Please disregard...I found the setting...cheers!

Where is the setting? Thanks.

• 10 months later...