WPA client software...

Glenn9999

I've been looking for router drivers and software lately, and one interesting thing I ran into numerous references for is a software that claims to offer WPA support for Microsoft OSes made before XP (98/ME/2000). The problem is that the company which made this (Wireless Security Corp.) was bought out by McAfee and the original site URLs do not exist.

Has anyone encountered this (or something like it)? And does anyone have a current URL link?

Did you search using the Wayback Machine?

I usually don't because it doesn't work 3/4 of the time I try it. But tried it now and got the name of the software and was able to download it (under WSC it's called "WSC Guard", under McAfee it's called "McAfee Wireless Security"). Such are things when most of the references just say "here's the link" or "google this and you'll find it". Doesn't work too well if it's not current.

If anyone else finds this software, you have to click "Disable Authentication" to be able to use the free mode of the software, which is the WPA networking part.

I also found an open source project called "WPA Supplicant" (which you can Google) which claims the same function.

YMMV on either, I suppose. When I find a wireless net card I like, I'll get to try both

Did you search using the Wayback Machine?

I usually don't because it doesn't work 3/4 of the time I try it. But tried it now and got the name of the software and was able to download it (under WSC it's called "WSC Guard", under McAfee it's called "McAfee Wireless Security"). Such are things when most of the references just say "here's the link" or "google this and you'll find it". Doesn't work too well if it's not current.

If anyone else finds this software, you have to click "Disable Authentication" to be able to use the free mode of the software, which is the WPA networking part.

I also found an open source project called "WPA Supplicant" (which you can Google) which claims the same function.

YMMV on either, I suppose. When I find a wireless net card I like, I'll get to try both

I downloaded WPA Supplicant recently (after failing to find the WSC software) but never used more than its signal-strength check (at that point I finally got the card I was trying to use working normally). Just in case I or anyone else here might need the WSC/McAfee software in the future, describing how you found it via the Wayback Machine would be helpful (I just spent 10 minutes probing old McAfee pages without success).

Thanks,

- bill

Edit: Eventually found it under the WSC Web site in the archive: http://web.archive.org/web/20051228062502/www.wirelesssecuritycorp.com/wsc/public/BigRedButtonAction.do?sequenceNo=2 along with documentation (an earlier version of the page didn't have the download archived). If you found another version it might be useful just in case this one evaporates at some point.

Edited by billtodd

Edit: Eventually found it under the WSC Web site in the archive: http://web.archive.org/web/20051228062502/www.wirelesssecuritycorp.com/wsc/public/BigRedButtonAction.do?sequenceNo=2 along with documentation (an earlier version of the page didn't have the download archived). If you found another version it might be useful just in case this one evaporates at some point.

That's good you found it. Ideal would be to put it on a current site, but there are always EULA concerns to that, even when it comes to defunct software. As long as one probes www.wirelessecuritycorp.com , the file should be somewhere in the Download page of the site.

• 5 months later...

Resurrecting this older thread. :) I finally got around to installing and playing around with the referenced software (WSC Guard and wpa_supplicant) but unfortunately could not get either to work in Win98 SE. Has anyone successfully done so?

billtodd indicates that he was able to run wpa_supplicant but I wonder whether that was in WinXP. I get the following error in Win98 SE with wpa_supplicant 0.7.3 for Windows:

wpa_gui error

OpenService failed.

[120] This function is only valid in Win32 mode.

This appears to indicate that the program is not compatible with Win9x/ME. Their website does not explicitly state that it's incompatible with Win9x/ME but does say that it was mostly tested in WinXP SP2.

On the other hand, WSC Guard seemed to install fine (via McAfee Wireless Security 4.1) but was unable to detect my wireless network card, giving some error message about incompatible network adapters.

References:

wpa_supplicant

Edited by Prozactive

Bundled with my Netgear DG834g router was a WG111 Netgear wireless adapter. The software for the WG111 is 98SE compatible and it allows my ancient IBM ThinkPad 390 laptop to connect to my WPA encrypted home network.

Does this help?

stuck

• 2 weeks later...

I just got a Vizio router and need WPA for my laptop. No luck so far.

Late reply.

I am /was using the following wifi cards with 98SE with WPA. Edimax EW-7108PCG & EW-7128G.

Once the card is installed the Aegis2 supplicant file is then located in Program Files>Edimax. It is then a question of running the supplicant and it adds relevant entries in 'My Network'.

I am also guessing that the Aegis2 wpa supplicant supplied by Edimax could possibly be used with other wifi cards on the assumption that the card support wpa.

I am not at my 98se box now but will try to post back with some screenshots later.

I also tried some of the other paid utilities (can't remember now there names but will also post then next time) and they did work but were not as good as the Aegis2.

Good Luck

Edited by risk_reversal

I have attached screenshots from my 98SE box with wpa supplicant installed and enabled.

It may be possible to download the Edimax software and extract the AegisI2.exe & AegisE2.dll files which are the one required.

I did try Odyssey Access v4.32 (from Juniper) which also worked but was certainly not as elegant as my current method.

When I first researched this subject ,one of the first threads I stumbled on was the one below which helped me on my way.

http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/t5543-getting-wpa-to-work-using-netgear-wg511t-adapter-on-windows-98se-system.html

I have just tried the link in the above thread for the DLink wpa supplicant and it is working. The zip download contains the very files required.

For 98SE wpa, the supplicant is AegisI2.exe plus the associated .dll file.

To execute just double click on the exe and the box will open as per last screenshot. Reboot and your are good to go.

I hope that I have not missed the point of this thread and hope that this info helps

As always image your partitions prior to testing.

Good Luck

post-66334-0-23944500-1290336991_thumb.j

post-66334-0-07634700-1290337004_thumb.j

post-66334-0-20921800-1290337015_thumb.j

post-66334-0-11368200-1290338246_thumb.j

Edited by risk_reversal

• 4 years later...

I finally got WSC Guard working on my Dell Latitude C610 with Dell Wireless 1370 WLAN Mini-PCI Card. The app actually works, I can finally surf the net without having to login to WinXP on Dual-boot. It also detect my UPNP router along with ICS. I have 2 Dell Wireless 1370 WLAN Mini-PCI + 1 Dell Wireless 1390 WLAN Mini-PCI and 1 Dell Wireless 1450 WLAN Mini-PCI. They are all Broadcom wireless cards using BCMWL5.SYS 3.90.38.0 which is the last version to work on Windows 98. I have tried all of the newer ones I was able to locate. Anything over 3.9x will not work. I'm collecting them since the intel drivers didn't work. I replaced them all. The Mcafee version gave me nothing but problems. Users should use version 4.0, the one before Mcafee branding. Enjoy

Edited by PROBLEMCHYLD

"...They are all Broadcom wireless cards using BCMWL5.SYS 3.90.38.0 which is the last version to work on Windows 98."

There is an ASUSTEK 3/2006 download for Win98SE to update ASUS WL-100G wireless PCMCIA cards for wpa2 that includes a BCMWL5.SYS file v 3.90.70 if you want to get a bit further beyond your existing sys files available in your collection...

http://www.asus.com/support/Download/11/1/0/2/19/

Select Win98SE OS and check for English version under the utilities available.

"...Anything over 3.9x will not work... The Mcafee version gave me nothing but problems. Users should use version 4.0, the one before Mcafee branding..."

I'm confused. Statements are seemingly contradictory and unclear to me... The McAfee version of what? WSC Guard? a BCMWL5.SYS file included in the McAfee download? You recommend using 'version 4.0' after stating nothing above version 3.9x will work under Win98SE. Or is there a 4.0 version of WSC Guard out there other than the McAfee version that you can point to or provide?

For me, the WSC client recognizes my WL-100G card but cannot connect using WPA. Connects to the guest account connection provided by my router using an open, unencrypted connection. I assumed that the router/card combination wasn't supported. But your experience gives me a sliver of hope that a file substitution can be tried...

My version is BCMWL5.SYS 3.90.38.0, the link to your version is BCMWL5.SYS 3.90.7.0. Mine also has newer timestamp 02/14/2005, yours has 10/14/2004. I haven't found anything newer than mine (not saying they don't exist, just have not found them yet).

What I meant was, use version 4.0 of the WSC Guard instead of the Mcafee 4.1 version. I had problems but others might not,YMMV.

I also meant BCMWL5.SYS 3.9x was the only ones I could get to work. Anthing over version 3.9x of BCMWL5.SYS was missing dependencies. In other words, versions BCMWL5.SYS 3.100.x and higher did not work.

Edited by PROBLEMCHYLD

Okay, thanks for the clarification.

Possible for you to make that WSC Guard version available to me? The only version available on the internet is the McAfee version and that didn't work for me.

Thanks to you I have found a new version of BCMWL5.SYS 3.94.41.1, you betta get it before it disappear.

https://web.archive.org/web/20060104053052/http://www.buffalotech.com/downloads/CBG54_3.104.64.50.zip

Edited by PROBLEMCHYLD