Comodo System Cleaner

tain

I've been hearing good things about Comodo products lately so I drove past there web site to look in the windows.

One product that interested me was Comodo System Cleaner. It has two features in particular that tweak my geekbone: portable and has a command line interface.

But I found the documentation for the CLI to be lacking and almost no interest in the product on their forums or elsewhere on the net. Is there some reason that people don't use this?

http://system-cleaner.comodo.com/

Is there some reason that people don't use this?

Probably because Comodo doesn't push it very hard on their web site. They seem to favor their internet security things (paying stuff plus the firewall/anti-virus) over all the other local tools that they have done.

I use it and like it. The GUI is a little clunky and the auto-update is kind of an annoyance, but it is definitely by far the most thorough product of this kind I've encountered.

I don't think I've ever seen it mentioned before. I think most people who want such an app are for the most part quite happy with CCleaner already and not really looking for a replacement.

So I decided to give it a try anyway. The one thing I'll give it right off the bat is being free and nag free. CCleaner comes with an optional toolbar. Yes, it's optional, but no, nobody wants of that Yahoo toolbar (*shudder*), and it's selected by default.

But beyond that... Not so great. It only shows how many files it found, not how much space would be saved. And it only works for Windows' own files which is a fairly severe limitation IMO. CCleaner also found files to delete for Chrome, Firefox, Nero, ImgBurn, Office apps, Flash, MPC HC, winrar, 7zip, etc. It just seems much more thorough. And for the few things CCleaner still misses such as the highly annoying flash cookies then you can add some custom entries too (options > include > add).

Sorry but it looks like I won't be switching anytime soon.

What'd you find, an old version?

It only shows how many files it found, not how much space would be saved.

True.

And it only works for Windows' own files which is a fairly severe limitation IMO. CCleaner also found files to delete for Chrome, Firefox, Nero, ImgBurn, Office apps, Flash, MPC HC, winrar, 7zip, etc. It just seems much more thorough. And for the few things CCleaner still misses such as the highly annoying flash cookies then you can add some custom entries too (options > include > add).

You have to look in the privacy cleaner part to find the other stuff you mention.

As for the CCleaner thing, I just tried System-Cleaner on a system that CCleaner has been run on pretty regularly and it found 852 files and registry entries that CCleaner didn't...

Edited by Glenn9999

You have to look in the privacy cleaner part to find the other stuff you mention.

I'll have a look. It never came across my mind to check some privacy-related thing to get rid of some junk files (strange place IMO). And it wouldn't let me even go there unless I canceled the current operation too.

• 1 month later...

I'd say that is "sorta scripted" since there is no easy way to export the "script" to other users/machines. Unless it is in a reg key that can be exported and then called?