svhost.exe error at WinXP start

colore

hello

when XP starts, after DOS screen and before it shows the XP desktop, I get an error about svhost.exe crash

is there any chance to fix this?

I installed recently SP3, not sure if this caused the problem, or messing around with enabling/disabling services (which I did recently too)

also is there a way to uninstall SP3? does it really offer any advantage?

PS: I run antivirus Avast and shows nothing suspicious

thanks

It's because you have been fooling around with the services :whistle:

On a command-prompt, type:

tasklist /svc

to see what services have been started by svhost (under the "Services"-column

in the list that is shown).

You can compare that list with the services you have been enabling

(the ones that are missing are likely the culprit).

I'm sure there are easier solutions/ways, but I hardly ever have this problem.

Your event-log will most likely also list some errors of services that refused

to start :)

Greetz,

Peter.

Edited by VideoRipper

Check in the event viewer, particularly the system log. There should be some errors listed in there which will provide you with more information about which service(s) failed and for what reason.

in the "tasklist /svc" list it shows 28 services running, and in "Computer Management > Services" are also 28 services shown as 'started'

I didn't check them one by one, but the number is the same

in Event Log there are many errors, I will try to reboot to see if it will record the error

Edited by colore

ok there are three errors at Event Log:

The Routing and Remote Access service failed to start due to the following error:

The executable program that this service is configured to run in does not implement the service.

The Windows Driver Foundation - User-mode Driver Framework service terminated with the following error:

A device attached to the system is not functioning.

The General Purpose USB Driver (e4ldr.sys) service failed to start due to the following error:

The service cannot be started, either because it is disabled or because it has no enabled devices associated with it.

what do I need to do?

the error popup that appears at WinXP starts says "svchost.exe error, memory could not be written"

in the "tasklist /svc" list it shows 28 services running, and in "Computer Management > Services" are also 28 services shown as 'started'

That's normal because it's the exact same information.

in Event Log there are many errors

...and that is not exactly normal, I'd take some time to look at them.

I will try to reboot to see if it will record the error

If you're not sure which ones it is, you can clear it (save it first to see what else you had going on), then recreate the problem (seemingly rebooting does it) then check again.

I fixed the "Routing and Remote Access" error by disabling this service

I am not sure if I have to disable "Windows Driver Foundation" too, without consequences

as for the "General Purpose USB Driver" it is not listed in Services, I don't know what I could do with it

I found on the net that "Windows Driver Foundation" default setting is 'manual' so I switched it to manual and the svchost.exe error at start up doesn't show anymore

is there anything I can do about the e4ldr.sys error? I don't get any warning about it, but maybe I should fix it, because I get many blue screens lately

I hadn't noticed you posted seconds before me :blushing:

The General Purpose USB Driver (e4ldr.sys) service failed to start due to the following error:

The service cannot be started, either because it is disabled or because it has no enabled devices associated with it.

That's a DSL modem driver that's misbehaving (doubly so if you're getting BSODs). Ditch the USB junk, and plug it using ethernet -- problem solved for good.

That thing is likely causing both of the other error messages you see in your logs.

but I have it already attached via Ethernet

the only USB device attached is printer

Even if it's attached via ethernet, the USB driver for the ADSL modem is loading. If you installed any software for the modem when you got it, it would be best to remove it - you're not using it, and it's not behaving properly anyway.

You'd have to install userdump and set it to dump svchost.exe on crash, and that will slow your machine down immensely (it may even cause it to crash itself). You could break each svchost service out into it's own servicehost, but that's pretty time consuming.

It's up to you, but given the errors you posted, I'd lean towards a user-mode USB driver causing it (and we've already seen the ADSL modem driver in the error list).

there is no svchost.exe crash popup box at WinXP start, but in EventLog this error still appears:

The system cannot find the file specified.

I have uninstalled all USB modem/router drivers I could find, how can I fix this?