Too many related errors in event viewer ?

morland

Hello,

Something seems to be messed up big time because I just noticed all of the following (towards the end of this post) in my event viewer.

First, here is the status of Services (which may be relevant):

• COM+Event System service: Startup type is set to manual and the current status shows that the service is
    running.
  • COM+ System Application services: Startup type is set to manual and the current status is that the service is
    not running
  • Distributed Link Tracking Client service: Startup type is set to manual and the current status is that the
    service is not running
  • Distributed Transaction Coordinator service: Startup type is set to manual and the current status is that the
    service is not running
  • MSDTC Service: Startup set to manual.

Tried to set the MSDTC service to run it both in Manual startup mode and also by changing the startup type to

Automatic but in both cases the following error comes up:

Windows could not start the Distributed Transaction Coordinator on Local Computer. For more

information, review the

System Event Log. If this is a non-Microsoft service, contact the service vendor, and refer to service-specific

error code -1073737712.

Also did a Google search some places have recommended that problem has to do with the following. Interestingly I do not have SSQL server installed.

Also while searching for a solution, I came across a post (http://forums.techarena.in/windows-server-help/15066.htm) but don't want to try it without a expert opinion. The solution at the post basically says:

rename the %systemroot%\system32\dtclog folder to dtclog.old

(IF it exist)

create a new dtclog folder (%systemroot%\system32\dtclog)

at command prompt: msdtc -resetlog

And finally, below are all the errors in the Event viewer and because of which I am making this

Event Type: Error

Event Source: COM+

Event Category: (98)

Event ID: 4691

Date: 20-May-10

Time: 7:08:00 PM

User: N/A

Computer: mylaptop

Description:

The run-time environment was unable to initialize for transactions required to support transactional components.

Make sure that MS-DTC is running. (DtcGetTransactionManagerEx(): hr = 0x8004d01b)

Event Source: MSDTC

Event Category: Devices

Event ID: 4112

Time: 7:07:59 PM

Description:

Could not start the MS DTC Transaction Manager.

Event Category: Disk

Event ID: 4185

Description:

MS DTC Transaction Manager start failed. LogInit returned error 0x2.

Event Category: Services

Event ID: 4163

Description:

MS DTC log file not found. After ensuring that all Resource Managers coordinated by MS DTC have no indoubt

transactions, please run msdtc -resetlog to create the log file.

Event Source: Service Control Manager

Event Category: None

Event ID: 7024

Date: 21-May-10

Time: 11:08:49 AM

Description:

The Distributed Transaction Coordinator service terminated with service-specific error 3221229584 (0xC0001010).

Event Source: DCOM

Event Category: None

Event ID: 10005

Time: 8:30:35 PM

User: username\loggedinusersname

Description:

DCOM got error "The service cannot be started, either because it is disabled or because it has no enabled devices

associated with it. " attempting to start the service upnphost with arguments "" in order to run the server:

{204810B9-73B2-11D4-BF42-00B0D0118B56}

Thanks in advance for your help

You can apply the solution to reset msdtc logs. I've done it in the past and it solved the com+ errors and msdtc service not starting. It happen when the logs are corrupted.

Your last log entry says there's one more service you need to take care of. It might or might not solve your problem, though. I've done it in the past and I know it's possible (to repair/reinstall) b0rked MSDTC, but I can't find it now for the life of me. It was either regsvr32 or add/remove windows components (my bet right now is on latter).

GL

You can apply the solution to reset msdtc logs. I've done it in the past and it solved the com+ errors and msdtc service not starting. It happen when the logs are corrupted.

Hi allen2 but what is the solution? You probably forgot to share that :)

You pasted it in your first post!!!!

(IF it exist)

The path is wrong, the right one is %systemroot%\system32\MsDtc. Reboot after completing theese steps.

Your last log entry says there's one more service you need to take care of. It might or might not solve your problem, though.

Sorry but i Just checked and the Universal Plug and Play Device Host service was disabled on my laptop. Have set it to manual now. Could that be the reason??

I've done it in the past and I know it's possible (to repair/reinstall) b0rked MSDTC, but I can't find it now for the life of me. It was either regsvr32 or add/remove windows components (my bet right now is on latter).

LOL... hope you can recall/find it soon. pls let me know if and when you can recall it :)

Thanks

(IF it exist)

The path is wrong, the right one is %systemroot%\system32\MsDtc. Reboot after completing theese steps.

Oh okay. Thanks allen2. Will try that. BTW, and as asked to GrofLuigi also, do you think that the disabled state of the Universal Plug and Play Device Host service could be the reason?

Your last log entry says there's one more service you need to take care of. It might or might not solve your problem, though.

Sorry but i Just checked and the Universal Plug and Play Device Host service was disabled on my laptop. Have set it to manual now. Could that be the reason??

It's the reason for the bottom log entry, but usually (as far as I can see from Internet search, because I never use or enable UPNP) the error isn't critical - the caller application sees UPNP isn't available and just moves on.

I've done it in the past and I know it's possible (to repair/reinstall) b0rked MSDTC, but I can't find it now for the life of me. It was either regsvr32 or add/remove windows components (my bet right now is on latter).

LOL... hope you can recall/find it soon. pls let me know if and when you can recall it :)

Thanks

It was quite easy to be googled, actually. :)

Out of curiosity, which app required MSDTC?

GL

*Edit: Another link, with few more steps which will also repair some other services (COM+ Event System) and the entire COM+ thing. Please try only if the first one doesn't work.

Edited by GrofLuigi

Hi GL,

My apologies for the late reply. Will post back after trying the solution (for which allen2) helped in correcting the path.

Regarding which app required MSDTC? After searching on Google it seems that things like SQL Server/MySQL etc. probably are the one's which require MSDTC. Right??? But I don't have either of these installed. So i am confused.

Edited by morland

(IF it exist)

Hi allen2,

Sorry to bother you.

1st a silly question for my understanding: Is it correct that %systemroot% mean the root drive i.e C:\. Is my understanding correct? :blushing: (embarrassed)

I checked under C:\Windows\System32 and there is no folder named dtclog. So many thanks for pointing out the correct name (i.e. MsDtc). Before i try your suggestion can you kindly please confirm if my understanding of the steps listed below are correct?

1. Rename the C:\Windows\system32\dtclog MsDtc folder to dtclog.old MsDtc.old
  2. Create a new dtclog MsDtc folder (C:\Windows\system32\dtclog)(C:\Windows\system32 MsDtc )
  3. At command prompt: msdtc -resetlog. Note: This seems to be okay
  4. Reboot after completing these steps

1st a silly question for my understanding: Is it correct that %systemroot% mean the root drive i.e C:\. Is my understanding correct? :blushing: (embarrassed)

• %SystemRoot% = %WinDir% = %SystemDrive%\<YourWindowsDirectory>

If Windows on your computer is installed on C: in a directory named "WINDOWS" then:
  • %SystemRoot% = C:\WINDOWS

I checked under C:\Windows\System32

You checked the right place. :)

Yes, most likely data in the msdtc folder are corrupt so renaming is just to save the data. Or you could just empty the msdtc folder (it's the path of no return).

Then do the msdtc -resetlog <= should recreate all needed log files.

And after the reboot, the errors should be gone.

About the applications using Msdtc, it could be a backup software( like Symantec backupexec system recovery) or IIS.

Edited by allen2

Yes, most likely data in the msdtc folder are corrupt so renaming is just to save the data. Or you could just empty the msdtc folder (it's the path of no return).

Then do the msdtc -resetlog <= should recreate all needed log files.

And after the reboot, the errors should be gone.

Thanks allen2. The problem seems to have gone. At least nothing anymore in the event viewer. :thumbup

About the applications using Msdtc, it could be a backup software( like Symantec backupexec system recovery) or IIS.

I use Norton Ghost so maybe that could have been it?