[Solved]confused about locating windows installation

jordanwb

I downloaded 1.4.9.1 to slipstream the updates to bring XP Pro SP3 up to date. I start nLite (I'm running Vista Home Premium 64bit). It says "WElcome to nLite!..." I click "Next" and it asks me to tell it where the Windows installation is located. I don't know what it wants. I give it the path to my XP iso, no good, I give it the path to the mounted iso, no good, I give it the path to C:\Windows, no good. What path does it want? I don't remember doing this before in older versions.

Edited by jordanwb

I downloaded 1.4.9.1 to slipstream the updates to bring XP Pro SP3 up to date. I start nLite (I'm running Vista Home Premium 64bit). It says "WElcome to nLite!..." I click "Next" and it asks me to tell it where the Windows installation is located. I don't know what it wants. I give it the path to my XP iso, no good, I give it the path to the mounted iso, no good, I give it the path to C:\Windows, no good. What path does it want? I don't remember doing this before in older versions.

jordanwb, please read the guide in the stickies above. I hope you have read the guides on the nLite web site. You can point nLite to your original CD (never an ISO file) and it will copy it into a folder for you or you can copy all the files/folders into an empty folder yourself. I simply copy all (Ctrl-A, then copy/paste) into an empty folder. I then copy from this folder into my working folder to run nLite against since nLite should only be run against a fresh copy of the files/folder (and only once). Some are afraid that if you don't have all files/folders visible they may all not be copied. Letting nLite do it avoids this. Running nLite under Vista to create an XP ISO can lead to problems, especially if you are integrating a Service Pack. Best to run under XP. Enjoy, John.

I took the advice of one of the senior/wiser members here and created a clean XPSP3 and turned it into an ISO

I give it the path to the mounted iso

so this should technically work. Make sure you are pointing it to where a I386/AMD64 directory is located, which must be the root of the CD/ISO. Would you mind attaching a screenshot of the contents of the ISO if the above-mentioned does not work?

Best to run under XP. Enjoy, John.

Okay I'll set up a VM tomorrow.

Would you mind attaching a screenshot of the contents of the ISO if the above-mentioned does not work?

http://img691.imageshack.us/img691/3528/captureqk.png

I don't think this ISO will work. I think I should use my XP Pro SP2 disk and go from there.

Edited by jordanwb

I wouldn't say SOLVED. Use your XPSP2 CD. Extract KB936629.exe (SP3) from the ISO and integrate it with nLite. From then on, if you have any problems, don't hesitate to ask.

Cheers

Edited by Sp0iLedBrAt