Getting win7 up to date

So I have just about everything in my unattended setup working now, and I haven't been using any tools, everything in autounattend.xml and .cmd scripts, waik, registry files. Now, going on with this, I'm a bit clueless on how to get win7 up to date.

Coming directly from xp, I'm used to using ryanvm integrator to integrate updatepacks (i used one piece).. That was the best. Very simple.

In Win7, I don't even know where to begin. Care to suggest anyone?

Thanks!

Edited by biatche

okay, that seems useful, it'll install all updates in that folder yea? Now, there an easy way of getting the latest updates? There a site that posts latest updates with links? Would you know?

• 2 weeks later...

unless i'm doing something wrong, dism supports integrating .msu, but what about .exe updates? can't find a way to integrate these so far.

i've tried installing updates via batch file after windows is installed, then i realize, if i do this often, its a huge waste of time. actually most updates are FAST, but this update: kb947821... seem to take a while. quite a waste of time.

can somebody clarify or give suggestions please? thanks

unless i'm doing something wrong, dism supports integrating .msu, but what about .exe updates? can't find a way to integrate these so far.

i've tried installing updates via batch file after windows is installed, then i realize, if i do this often, its a huge waste of time. actually most updates are FAST, but this update: kb947821... seem to take a while. quite a waste of time.

The only suggestion I'd make would be to boot into audit mode, apply said updates, and then sysprep and capture that to a new WIM to install. If you're doing this a lot, and you have .exe and .msu packages to apply, this is probably the most reliable (not the fastest, but it works) way.

Alright. Thanks, I'll probably integrate .msu's and install .exe's after windows is installed. Such a bummer.

I just run them from setupcomplete.cmd. most have switches

CMD /C start /wait %systemdrive%\Install\windows-kb890830-x64-v3.7.exe /Q /N

• 2 months later...

The only suggestion I'd make would be to boot into audit mode, apply said updates, and then sysprep and capture that to a new WIM to install. If you're doing this a lot, and you have .exe and .msu packages to apply, this is probably the most reliable (not the fastest, but it works) way.

If I sysprep and apply patches. Won't they disappear when I run the sysprep /generalize after? If I don't use the generalize option I can't save the wim with capture image.

Drivers sort of, patches yes. The /generalize switch is doing what it sounds like - removing the hardware and machine-specific customizations that were created on the initial install to make the image able to be dropped onto different hardware and work properly. However, there are ways to insert drivers into an image and deploy them as part of the WIM - see this thread (which was 3 posts below yours when I replied) for some possible ways to do this on sysprep'ed Win7 images. I still prefer having drivers injected to the system during the WinPE phase of deployment based on the hardware underneath the current install (ala SCCM 2007 or MDT 2010), but if you know of a specific set of drivers all of your machines will use, adding them to the WIM as per the link above would work fine.

Drivers sort of, patches yes. The /generalize switch is doing what it sounds like - removing the hardware and machine-specific customizations that were created on the initial install to make the image able to be dropped onto different hardware and work properly. However, there are ways to insert drivers into an image and deploy them as part of the WIM - see this thread (which was 3 posts below yours when I replied) for some possible ways to do this on sysprep'ed Win7 images. I still prefer having drivers injected to the system during the WinPE phase of deployment based on the hardware underneath the current install (ala SCCM 2007 or MDT 2010), but if you know of a specific set of drivers all of your machines will use, adding them to the WIM as per the link above would work fine.

Thanks for answer. The problem is that all my wim files are around 7-10mb big and I have an Res.RWM that is 21GB so I can't inject the drivers to the wim files...

It seems that all images are using the Res.RWM.

I tried with sysprep /oobe /unattend:xmlfile

but when I try to capture the image I have no volume to capture, this only works if I run sysprep with the generalize switch.

Edit:

I solved it with putting inf files to a folder and point out with driverpath.

Edited by zeezam