nLite frozen when adding themes

mainpage

Also is there any way to make registry tweaks to the image?

Yes, if you have them as .reg files, you can add them in the RunOnce section or through a batch file (again through RunOnce) with something like

regedit /s myfile.reg

mainpage, I think Sp0iLedBrAt is correct, you should talk to your supplier about your CD. Barring that, please post a screen shot of a Windows Explorer view of the CD contents. If it contains a Last Session file, please attach that. See if there is an NLITE.IN_ file in the I386 folder and if so, attach it also. If nLite has been run against the CD before, then you have a potential major problem. Again, I think you should talk to the vendor. On the themes, I only integrate one, so I have it in a folder alone. I suggest you try placing just two themes in separate folders and try that. The fact that it is complaining about hb, says perhaps it needs them in a folder alone. My theme has a .theme file plus a folder containing the wallpaper, icon etc. Good luck, John.

mainpage, I think Sp0iLedBrAt is correct, you should talk to your supplier about your CD. Barring that, please post a screen shot of a Windows Explorer view of the CD contents. If it contains a Last Session file, please attach that. See if there is an NLITE.IN_ file in the I386 folder and if so, attach it also. If nLite has been run against the CD before, then you have a potential major problem. Again, I think you should talk to the vendor. On the themes, I only integrate one, so I have it in a folder alone. I suggest you try placing just two themes in separate folders and try that. The fact that it is complaining about hb, says perhaps it needs them in a folder alone. My theme has a .theme file plus a folder containing the wallpaper, icon etc. Good luck, John.

There isn't a "NLITE.IN" file in the source. though there is in the copy's that I modified with nLite.

The theme files I'm using are .msstyles, is there a way to include cursors and a wallpaper in the unattended options anywhere?

Thanks for all the help so far :)

post-291068-127429188184_thumb.png

mainpage, I am no theme expert, but have attached what works for me. It is a complete theme with icons, wallpaper and all. You will see that the top folder contains the .theme file and a folder. This folder contains the .msstyles file, wallpaper file, icons folders and a shell folder. It has been a while since I messed with this, but I think the .theme files contains instructions defining how the other files/folders are used. Hopefully you can find some better detail and/or help here from someone better informed that I. I also attached my .theme file (had to change the name to .txt, so forum would attach). You can open it with notepad. Good luck, John.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but should(n't) you apply the UxTheme patch in nLite? I don't know if this is just for unsigned themes, but about a year ago (in my early beginnings with nLite) I tried to integrate a .msstyles theme without the patch and it was unsuccessful.

is there a way to include cursors and a wallpaper in the unattended options anywhere?

Yes, if you create an $OEM$ folder with the following structure:

$OEM$->$->Web->Wallpaper; put the wallpaper in the last folder. For more info, see this http://unattended.ms...xp/view/web/59/ (photo near the bottom of the page). If you want it to be the default wallpaper on first logon, then see my post here http://www.msfn.org/...post__p__924009

Edit: According to the screenshot, it was an XPSP2 and SP3 was added. On first look, nothing has been altered, but I really can't say much more.

Edited by Sp0iLedBrAt

Correct me if I'm wrong, but should(n't) you apply the UxTheme patch in nLite? I don't know if this is just for unsigned themes, but about a year ago (in my early beginnings with nLite) I tried to integrate a .msstyles theme without the patch and it was unsuccessful.

Sp0iLedBrAt, you need the UxTheme only if you have unsigned themes. mainpage probably has unsigned ones, so it is probably needed and is included in the Last Session file. The SFC disable is also needed to allow the altered UxTheme.dll get through Setup. Problems with leaving one or both out will not show up till further than the OP is getting. Enjoy, John.

and a shell folder.

Hmm, could that be the problem? I had all the themes on a previous install and I just bulk transferred anything with the .msstyles name and none of the shell.dll's.

EDIT: I re-downloaded all the themes and moved them into separate folders. Most of them integrated, but for some reason only about half of the ones that did show up in the desktop properties theme dropdown menu. Any ideas how to make others be included in it?

Edited by mainpage

Hmm, could that be the problem? I had all the themes on a previous install and I just bulk transferred anything with the .msstyles name and none of the shell.dll's.

EDIT: I re-downloaded all the themes and moved them into separate folders. Most of them integrated, but for some reason only about half of the ones that did show up in the desktop properties theme dropdown menu. Any ideas how to make others be included in it?

mainpage, sorry, but like I said before, I am no theme expert. I DLed my lone theme and stuck it into a folder and pointed nLite to it and it worked. If you cannot find better information searching, then start a new topic asking for help on integrating your themes. There are lots of knowledgeable people here and surely some theme experts. Enjoy, John.

mainpage, sorry, but like I said before, I am no theme expert. I DLed my lone theme and stuck it into a folder and pointed nLite to it and it worked. If you cannot find better information searching, then start a new topic asking for help on integrating your themes. There are lots of knowledgeable people here and surely some theme experts. Enjoy, John.

I'll do that. Thanks for all your help anyways on everything else. It's just that I've spent the last 2 weeks on this and its frustrating that the only thing holding me back now is the cosmetics :}

The cause for failed integration of your themes is your folder-structure.

Every xxx.msstyles needs its own folder (mostly named like the style).

It would be better and easier for you to install XP first as a working OS

and then use nLite to get things work. You`ll be able to get the correct

structure of the folders in XP, e.g. "%systemroot%\Resources\Themes".

I always prefer to use the same Host-OS as the one to modify.

I can make you a switchless installer for those and you can get past all of these headaches...

Just upload them to a temp host and I will whip it up for you....

I'd would appreciate that a lot. It will take awhile though... my upload sucks.

Do you need the shell.dll's and the .msstyles or just the styles?

• 3 months later...

Ok and in nlite at the themes tab. Should it be set as default,? Also i cant get my theme Stolen16Mx theme run at at startup. I think a dnt get the theme file right. Coz i know i have to edit it but the example given includes msstyles and my theme doesnt have it