DVD software?

caymanfleck

Is anyone familiar with some DVD copying software for Windows 9x? (Backing up legal dvd's of course) I've tried a few of the big ones (like DVDfab) with KernelEx and they don't work. Any help would be appreciated!

Looked into this last year when things changed. Pretty sure that the last version of DvdFab that worked was 6.0.7.0.

Here is the history file from that version ...

DVDFab 6.0.7.0 September 19, 2009:

Core/UI Updates:
New: Updated language files

DVD to DVD Option:
New: Added support for new copy protections as found on DVDs (Knowing, etc.) from EUROVIDEO, Germany.
New: Improved PathPlayer performance in certain cases.
Fix: Playable content may be removed in very special case when PathPlayer is enabled.
Note: PathPlayer is very stable now, we strongly recommend users to select "Always enable PathPlayer".

Blu-ray to Blu-ray Option:
New: AACS MKB15 (Easy Virtue, US) is fully supported now.
New: Improved copying performance when there are multiple unit keys.
Fix: Blu-ray disc cannot be opened when there are certain authoring errors.

And the important part of the README ...

3. System Requirements

* Windows Vista/XP/2000/98/ME (32-bit/64-bit), Linux(with Wine)
* Pentium II 500 MHz
* 256 MB of RAM (DVD)
* 10 GB of Free Hard Disk Space (DVD)
* A DVD-R(W) or DVD+R(W) Drive (DVD)
* 512 MB of RAM (Blu-ray)
* 50 GB of Free Hard Disk Space (Blu-ray)
* A Blu-ray Drive (Blu-ray)

The next version I found was 6.1.0.2 Beta (26/09/2009) ...

3. System Requirements

* Windows 7/Vista/XP/2000 (32-bit/64-bit)
* Pentium II 500 MHz
* 256 MB of RAM (DVD)
* 10 GB of Free Hard Disk Space (DVD)
* A DVD-R(W) or DVD+R(W) Drive (DVD)
* 512 MB of RAM (Blu-ray)
* 50 GB of Free Hard Disk Space (Blu-ray)
* A Blu-ray Drive (Blu-ray)

Truth be told, if you are intent on using Win9x for DVD chores you have little choice. Personally I've been busy retiring most of my Win9x systems and have XP or newer boxes holding the DVD-R drives and software. This removes any chance of bumping into filesize limits or sudden BSOD and scandisk.

FWIW, that version 6.0.7.0 did seem to work ok on Win98se although I probably didn't press my luck and try something difficult. It is possible that KernelEx might get you past 6.0.7.0 into a later edition. And I believe that Fengtao will still sell you one of the older ones if you have no computer running something above Win9x.

Yeah, I kind of expected that. The more I think about it, I think that most of the popular DVD copying software came out around or after the point where XP was really mainstream, so I imagine that 9x was second-class for these programs from the beginning...makes it not too surprising.

Creator6 ( Easy CD & DVD Creator 6 - Platinum) from Roxio will install and work on 98SE (on XP also) and will detect and burn dvds. I have it installed and it works great with a Pioneer DVR-112R.

You can probably get a copy of it (cheap) on fleebay.

It would also be advisable to install the prog upgrades as per below and in that order.

1. Engine -->6.2.0.134

2. Creator -->6.2.0.111

3. Audio -->1.1.0.277

4. du20041204 --> Drive Update

Good Luck

Edited by risk_reversal

Is anyone familiar with some DVD copying software for Windows 9x? (Backing up legal dvd's of course) I've tried a few of the big ones (like DVDfab) with KernelEx and they don't work. Any help would be appreciated!

Old version Alcohol 120% 1.9.5.3105 Retail running properly / win98 without KernelEx. (Shareware)