98SE unoficial service pack 2.1 stole my modem

BookWorm

I installed the Windows 98 unofficial service pack 2.1. The next time I tried to connect to the internet it failed to detect the modem. It's a Lucent Winmodem in the mini PCI slot of an IBM ThinkPad 240. The hardware is all original and the modem worked perfectly before I installed the service pack. Now even Add New Hardware won't detect it. I think it was on COM2, but now there is no COM2. I reinstalled the drivers (using setup) but it didn't work.

How do I get my modem back?

Guest wsxedcrfv

I think it was on COM2, but now there is no COM2. I reinstalled the drivers (using setup) but it didn't work.

How do I get my modem back?

This could end up starting you into a downward spiral that just gets worse and worse. But if you get no other feedback, this is what I'd do: Start the system in safe mode. Bring up device manager. You will most likely see your missing devices in the device list. Delete the missing devices. While there, I like to delete stuff that is no longer (and will never again) be installed on the system. My systems end up having lots of CD drives and monitors in the safe-mode device manager listing that are no longer attached to the system - and I like to delete them.

See if your devices come back on the next restart into normal mode.

I started up in safe mode, but the modem wasn't in the device manager. Then I restarted, and now everything is fine. :blink:

Thanks. I'll remember to try restarting in safe mode next time anything weird happens.

The problem is not solved. It keeps coming back, randomly. That stupid service pack also deleted files so Works 99 Calender won't work.

I an going to have to reformat the partition and reinstall - *without* the service pack, that didn't seem to do anything useful anyway.

I an going to have to reformat the partition and reinstall - *without* the service pack, that didn't seem to do anything useful anyway.

Did you not make a Back-up before you installed the Service Pack? As Gape points out!

This is *only* for WINDOWS 98 SECOND EDITION ENGLISH. I highly recommend that you should backup your system before installing the pack

I continue to be amazed that a lot of user's fail to grasp the importance of making a Back-up before installing a new large piece of software! Get a copy of Norton Ghost 2003 if you can still find one and you can make a ghost image of your complete Boot Drive/Partition to another HDD or CD or USB device. Keep making regular Back-ups!

My Boot Drive is only 2.5GB and I can restore it from a Ghost image in less than 3 minutes.

> Did you not make a Back-up before you installed the Service Pack? As Gape points out!

*DU*H*!*!*! :no:

It really didn't matter that much though, because that was just an experimental installation anyway.